Any risk with upright bike storage

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited December 2020 in Road general
Just bought a new ride..she has hydraulic disk brakes. Over the winter it's stored indoors on an upright stand as per the pic. Any mechanical risk or danger in storing it this way...specifically to the hydraulic braking system?
Thanks all and merry xmas and happy cycling.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2020
    Feliz Navidad.

Absolutely none at all. Why would there be? Its fine.

#itsfine
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    only risk is bashing into it or the cat climbing up it. Or the mrs polishing it.

Its safer than keeping it in bed with you.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Or it pulls the wall down on top of you crushing you to death and your widow ends up having mad crazy passionate screaming oh my God its so massive why did I stay with him all these years sex with your best mate when they are both slaughtered at your wake and spends your estate on Colombian dancing powder.

#ha.didn'tthinkofthatdidyou
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

Or it pulls the wall down on top of you crushing you to death and your widow ends up having mad crazy passionate screaming oh my God its so massive why did I stay with him all these years sex with your best mate when they are both slaughtered at your wake and spends your estate on Colombian dancing powder.

Blimey, that escalated quickly.

Be like me and have no friends. Problem solved #benefitsofbeingbillynomates
  • MattFalle said:

Lol, lockdown getting to you?
  • j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63
    edited January 2021
    Hi Pete1336 :

I had read an article on VeloNews where a "similar" question was posed, but for storing a bike in the reverse orientation than what you have asked for -

The article does NOT recommend storing a bike with Hydraulic Bakes in the "upside-down-position" - ( Link to article provided below ).

Basically it has to be with air bubbles in the oil ( if they are present ) floating into the mechanical parts of the Braking System, -

Link to the article :

https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical-faq-air-hydraulic-brakes-proper-bike-storage/

But from what I have understood, storing the bike vertically in an "upright-position" ( ie HandlBars up ) does not seem to cause any issue.

Jai

• Good to know, thanks :)
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited January 2021
    If there is any air in the system ( the brakes need bleeding ) then you can end up with very ineffective brakes ( at least temporarily) if you store it upright. I’ve had issues with my disc braked bikes, after having stored them upright. Some cycle cafes have indoor storage like that, and some trains do as well. I’ve had issues where I hadn’t realised the brake systems could have done with a bleed, and fettle, then ridden the bikes, having had them in that position for a bit. By ‘issues’ I mean having ( at least ) one lever reaching the bars, with no real braking effect, for a couple of pumps. That’s worth remembering, having hardly any brakes at the first junction you reach, without warning, isn’t ideal. Storing it ‘rear up’ is worse, as there’s a lot more hose / distance between the rear brake and the levers, than the front lever and front brake.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    My Synapses (Synapsi?) are stored upright, one in each orientation, and one mtb used to be stored upright as well, and not had any issues.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18