Chorus or SR Crankset

2»

Comments

• neeb said:

For several model generations now the only real differences between Chorus, Record and SR have been weight and aesthetics. With 12sp though there is a significant weight benefit to going with SR as opposed to Record or Chorus - 12sp in general is pretty heavy, and SR is really the only option that acheives weights similar to the 11sp, range. With 11sp, Record was a good option as it was practically the same weight as SR but cheaper - now Record is much nearer Chorus in weight and you need to stump up for SR to get the lighter stuff.

I suppose it all depends on what you class as significant. To put this into context with groupsets as as whole for mechanical standard rim brake:

SR12 is 138g lighter than Record 12 which in turn is 108g lighter than Chorus 12
    SR11 is 106g lighter than Record 11 which in turn is 117g lighter than Chorus 11

Granted though that the vast majority of that weight saving is within the chainset. SR 12 weighs 618g whereas Record 12 and Chorus 12 weigh 708g and 728g respectively.

To me, that really isn't significant at all. I mean it's down to whether or not you wear a cap or not or have been for a slash before you go out. Don't get me wrong, I'd have SR on all my bikes if money were no object but the prices are eye watering for what is in my opinion, very little in return for weight saving and performance.

For anyone that is interested, here are the actual manufacturer weights for each of the groupsets:

Super Record 11 Rim GS - 1920g
    Super Record 12 Rim GS - 2062g
    Record 11 Rim GS - 2026g
    Record 12 Rim GS - 2200g
    Chorus 11 Rim GS - 2143g
    Chorus 12 Rim GS - 2308g
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    388g is not to be sniffed at but what is the price difference, £500?
    Couldn't find SR 11 speed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

388g is not to be sniffed at but what is the price difference, £500?
    Couldn't find SR 11 speed.

There are so many other factors that will determine to an individual whether it is or it is not.

RRP difference is somewhere in the region of £853 - SR to Record and another £565 from Record to Chorus - All 12 speed. So c.£1400 at RRP between Chorus and SR.

Merlin probably the cheapest for full groupsets and the difference there is around £1165 - so £3/g
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471

neeb said:

For several model generations now the only real differences between Chorus, Record and SR have been weight and aesthetics. With 12sp though there is a significant weight benefit to going with SR as opposed to Record or Chorus - 12sp in general is pretty heavy, and SR is really the only option that acheives weights similar to the 11sp, range. With 11sp, Record was a good option as it was practically the same weight as SR but cheaper - now Record is much nearer Chorus in weight and you need to stump up for SR to get the lighter stuff.

I suppose it all depends on what you class as significant. To put this into context with groupsets as as whole for mechanical standard rim brake:

SR12 is 138g lighter than Record 12 which in turn is 108g lighter than Chorus 12
    SR11 is 106g lighter than Record 11 which in turn is 117g lighter than Chorus 11

Granted though that the vast majority of that weight saving is within the chainset. SR 12 weighs 618g whereas Record 12 and Chorus 12 weigh 708g and 728g respectively.

To me, that really isn't significant at all. I mean it's down to whether or not you wear a cap or not or have been for a slash before you go out. Don't get me wrong, I'd have SR on all my bikes if money were no object but the prices are eye watering for what is in my opinion, very little in return for weight saving and performance.

For anyone that is interested, here are the actual manufacturer weights for each of the groupsets:

Super Record 11 Rim GS - 1920g
    Super Record 12 Rim GS - 2062g
    Record 11 Rim GS - 2026g
    Record 12 Rim GS - 2200g
    Chorus 11 Rim GS - 2143g
    Chorus 12 Rim GS - 2308g
    It's a confusing area to make comparisons in because it depends on what items in the groupset you are using, most importantly the cassette...

12sp forces you to use an 11-29 cassette, with no closer-range options available (another reason, as well as weight, why I've stuck with 11sp myself). 11sp had an ultra-light Ti cassette on SR, but most people didn't use that because it wears out far too quickly and is very expensive to replace.

Below is a chart I put together for myself to compare the weights of the various components a while back - I'm assuming the weights are still the same.

The first thing you notice is that 12sp is just HEAVY, all round.. But as well as the crankset, there are some moderate savings to be had in 12sp SR over Record in the rear mech, brakes etc. In 11sp the savings were practically all in the crankset and the cassette. In my case I use Record and/or SRAM cassettes and a P2M Campagnolo crankset (which is the same between SR and Record) which means that the difference between 11sp SR and Record is pretty miniscule.

With 12sp you have to use the same heavy 11-29 cassette between SR and Record anyway so Campagnolo have (I guess) created a slightly bigger weight difference in the other components to compensate and maintain a difference between the two levels. Again the crankset is a very big factor, but even if you take that away (assume that you're using a P2M again), there's still nearly a 60g difference.