Rear V-brake pulls to one side

The rear v-brake kept pulling up one side after each cycle ride. I was forever stopping to adjust it on route in the end. The cycle shop fitted a Shimano T610 ones for me as they said both the front and rear v-brakes were worn out, and they were certainly very loose, but after a few weeks the tear v-brake was the same.

I do all my own bike repairs now. I've trued the wheel several times and right now it's very good, but after a cycle ride I might find the v-brake rubbing on one side again. The whole cable and the calipers are totally free, so I don't get it. Mystery! The front v-brake is fine. I think I should fit new cables and sleeves. Has anyone else had this?

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited December 2020
    You have to balance the tension using the spring adjustment bolts. These are 2 small cross point screws (either side) next to the mounting bolt. When you screw one side in (tighten) this pulls the pad away from the rim, which in turn moves the opposing one closer (to the rim). Adjust until the brake remains centered
  • I've been doing that, but I think I will try a higher tension on both sides. It can only be that the spring tension is altering, (maybe the screws move a bit), so a higher tension may stop it.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Yup, try higher tension. The other thing to check is that they've been installed correctly. On the frame there are normally three holes in which a pin (on the brake) fits into. Normally they are mounted into the centre hole. If necessary (no tension) you could use the third hole thereby creating more tension.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    nivekvb said:

I've been doing that, but I think I will try a higher tension on both sides. It can only be that the spring tension is altering, (maybe the screws move a bit), so a higher tension may stop it.

No don’t do that

increase the tension on the arm which doesn’t move and decrease the tension on the arm which moves.

You said the brake cables are moving freely so that leaves the arms

Other things to consider

Is the wheel central

Does the brake lever return to a fully closed position after you’ve used the brake?

If not this could point to the inner cable which may have a few stands loose which are impeding the brake returning to fully open

If the cable are running free you may have a seized arm but this is unlikely if the brake were new and installed correctly.

There are many numerous possibilities here but it may be a question of setting the correct tension

Enjoy the learning process
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu