di2 hydraulic upgrade?

liv avail adv 1 22spd ultegra mech discs.
Any thoughts on cost and feasability to upgrade this to di2 hydraulic?
Or just buy a new bike, bearing in mind this one cost 700 and such di2 bike will prob be 2k?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You might want to get a bike fit in order to get right size next time.
  • benali
    benali Posts: 49
    webboo said:

You might want to get a bike fit in order to get right size next time.

??
  • webboo
    The saddle is lower than the bars for a start. Unless you have a serious back problem that is just wrong and even then someone could sort you out a more efficient set up.
  • benali
    My wife is 5ft 4ins. The frame is xs. The seat is correct for her, leg extension perfect.
    Shes tried many adjustments, the bottom line is she is comfortable as is. Shes uses the drops when needed and she is comfortable on the hoods.
    I'm sure a bikefit will move a few things and she will just moan and not come out.
    Womens geometry, I dont know, but bottom line its comfortable.
  • webboo
    I’d leave on that one then, if she’s not interested getting out of her comfort zone. Just let her potter away on that bike.
  • benali
    Well she is in her fifties and not so interested in breaking performance records, but quite happy to 'potter' around for the odd fifty mile trip as long as shes comfortable that is.
    Which brings me back to to question in hand of hydraulics and electronics.
    Should you be able to offer any advice, would be appreciated?
  • webboo
    What are hydraulics and electronic gears going to add for her. Yes hydraulics are supposed to work better but is she struggling to stop now and ultegra mechanical works fine if it’s correctly set up. So unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, replace things when they wear out. Also they might be easy to get hold of in 6 months or so.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2020
    Cost: Google / eBay / Gumtre
    Feasibility: depends on routing for hydraulic and electrical cables
  • benali
    edited December 2020
    She struggles with braking power on steep 20% descents. The spyre mechanical brakes just don't offer enough assistance. This is the main problem, hence hydraulics.
    Di2 would be just 'nice' especially if I already need to upgrade the shifters.
    I think the frame offers all the routing needed. Not sure on access through the bb area especially for the 'b' switch.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Can’t quite tell in the picture, is it post or flat mount? I seriously doubt she would reap the benefits of di2 and hydraulic disc brakes. Sounds to me that hydraulic disc brakes would be a benefit though.

With that in mind I would go for 105 hydraulic brakes/ levers for a fraction of the price and keep the cable shifting, for £425 https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-r7020-hydraulic-disc-sti-levers-r7070-flat-mount-disc-calipers-11-speed-119868.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=54561&source=PHG

They are flat mount calipers. I have Dura Ace hydraulic di2 on two bikes and 105 hydraulic cable shift on my winter bike. My winter bike was a post mount frame so I just bought a couple of Deore post mount calipers for about £25 each and hooked them up. Braking is great, shifting is sublime (as far as cable operated shifting goes).

If your other half doesn’t have a problem with the manual shifting, just the braking, that would be the solution I would go for, saving a small fortune.

PP
  • benali
    Without going out to the bike, I'm 95% sure it's post mounted. Good point on the deore calipers. I will have a look around on ebay, as would really like to keep it at ultegra level for the shifters.
    By the the time I've sold on the replaced parts maybe £300 would do the brake upgrade
    How much improvement in braking power would hydraulic give, do you think? At the moment she has not got the hand power to brake safely on long steep descents.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    As per PP - no point in Di2 so if you really want hydraulics go the route he suggested.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.