new bike or sell

looking for advise on what is best to do ? upgrade or new bike , first off i have a felt nine 60, 2014 29er MTB the frame is still in relatively good condition minus a few marks and dings, i did recently upgrade the drivetrain to nx Egale 12, but now my front suspension has gone, I could get any upgrade suspension , example i would need to buy a new front wheel for the drop outs to fit like dt swss E1900 £144.00 then suspension something like marzocchi bomber z2 boost £549 , so i could sell my bike for parts and put all money to buy a new bike but i just don't know what to do for the best, I don't need to pay for the work because my brother dose a lot of his work on his bike. something to also consider is I am in the UK and i am not hopeful in get a new bike at this time because of covid , they seems to be a shortage from the shops online, and to find a bike i would need XL or XXL frame size and i couldn't fine any MTB bikes in stock online with them sizes. I would probably send up to £1000 front only suspension bike if i was to buy new.

Comments

• Think you've answered your own question.
    The market is limited on what is available, which is also raising prices.
    Repair and replace what you can and wait until the market gets back to normal post Covid.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What do you mean when you say "my front suspension has gone"?
    Have you ever had the forks serviced or done a lower leg service yourself? If not then that may be all that is needed.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

Have you ever had the forks serviced or done a lower leg service yourself? If not then that may be all that is needed.

well the fork is 6 year old and no i have not had it serviced the spring has gone and probably other things in side it, surely it would make more sense to upgrade the fork rather then spend money for parts and a service on a relatively cheap stock fork
  • Cargobike said:

Think you've answered your own question.
    The market is limited on what is available, which is also raising prices.
    Repair and replace what you can and wait until the market gets back to normal post Covid.

If i was to upgraded the bike i am keeping it for a lot more years it wouldn't be cost effective to buy them upgrades and then in a few months things got back to normal sell for a loss for a new bike, I would wait until spring if i thought that bikes would be back in stock at the latest . deep down i do want to get a new bike because if i spend that amount on upgrades i could spend £1000 on a new bike and my old bike was £500 , it was a good bike for my first 29 size and the price but i want a lighter frame and more reach height better front suspension, its hard for me not to be out on the trails and without a bike but i would a few months .
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2020
    Deep down you want a new bike and want to stay on the road until you find another one? As has already been mentioned by Cargobike, you have answered your own question.

You will get all the things you want on a modern hardtail with a £1000 budget so buy a dirt cheap basic set of forks to use until Spring or until you find a replacement bike.

Once you find a new bike strip off any worthwhile components, including the 12 speed drivetrain then throw them in a parts bin for spares. The cheap forks you may be able to sell on, the old scratched and dinged frame should go in a skip. A nearly 7 year old £500 bike is worth nothing and has paid for itself already.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    dazzzer said:

JBA said:

well the fork is 6 year old and no i have not had it serviced the spring has gone and probably other things in side it, surely it would make more sense to upgrade the fork rather then spend money for parts and a service on a relatively cheap stock fork
    That depends what fork it is.

What fork is it?

Having said that, it is obvious from some of your previous replies that you actually want a new bike and are looking for approval to get one. :) In which case invoke the N+1 rule and do as reaperactual has suggested.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009