A petson who cycles or a cyclist

Hello.

We have been having a discussion at work over the topic of what changes a person from a person who cycles to bring a cyclist.

What do you lot say?
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    What is a petson? A style of headwear?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    orraloon said:

Which of the 699 Falles are you asking?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

orraloon said:

Which of the 699 Falles are you asking?
    The stepson of number n+y?
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    MattFalle said:

Hello.

We have been having a discussion at work over the topic of what changes a person from a person who cycles to bring a cyclist.

What do you lot say?

Ask MF
  • Hitler - motorist
    Peter sutcliffe- motorist
    Ian Brady - motorist
    Krays - motorist.

Jimmy savile- cyclist and motorist.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

Hello.

What do you lot say?

Ask MF
    they're confused about this subject and most tbh.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    When you care about the components enough to be choosy and can set them up/repair them you are a cyclist.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I could make a shin for MF’s aero seat pin out of a can but can I f*ck sort out my gear cables. So what does that make me.
  • pblakeney
    Confused. It’s a shim. 😉
    What’s hard about cables? Like an eye test. Tighter, better or worse.....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Your right It’s a shim I can’t even spell what I can make. I don’t what it is about gears. I will think that’s not quite right I will adjust it. F*ck it not working at all. Right start at the beginning and it gets worse and worse. Mind that tends to be mainly on one bike with a bit of a weird cable line, that originally had Gortex covered inner cables, but they don’t make them anymore.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

Your right It’s a shim I can’t even spell what I can make. I don’t what it is about gears. I will think that’s not quite right I will adjust it. F*ck it not working at all. Right start at the beginning and it gets worse and worse. Mind that tends to be mainly on one bike with a bit of a weird cable line, that originally had Gortex covered inner cables, but they don’t make them anymore.

Maybe you should just send me all your gear and just be a guy on a BSO, you don't need any other equipment. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I like to think I'm a cyclist, but I don't currently cycle. Does that help?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    If you cycle, then you're a cyclist......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329

I like to think I'm a cyclist, but I don't currently cycle. Does that help?

I thought I was in this subset at the moment, although now I can ride a town bike to the shops and back am I just a person that cycles?
  • I like to think I'm a cyclist, but I don't currently cycle. Does that help?

I thought I was in this subset at the moment, although now I can ride a town bike to the shops and back am I just a person that cycles?
    No, you're now a cyclist who rides a bike.
  • veronese68

I like to think I'm a cyclist, but I don't currently cycle. Does that help?

No, you're now a cyclist who rides a bike.
    Woohoo! Wish it felt that way though.
  • Someone who's 'into' bikes and cycling. I accept this is a vague criteria.

But effectively is the difference between someone who cares about, is passionate about, interested in bikes and cycling - and someone who is mostly indifferent to them.

And anyone who calls their bike their 'steed'. That's not a cyclist.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    The term "cyclist" has temporal connotations, as does "motorist" or "bungee jumper".

It is not the same as a perpetual term such as "child molester" even though this is how the Daily Mail treat cyclists.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited December 2020
    MattFalle said:

Hello.

What do you lot say?

A person who cycles is person centric, and reinforces the human side. Much like people walking, or people driving reinforce a person is doing something, and therefore much easier to assume that someone who walks or drives, may also cycle or catch public transport, and therefore easier to relate to.

A cyclist is a target of hate mongering media and outgrouping, and therefore drives a wedge between people.

So depending on which side of the fence you are asking the question from... i'm both.

This is exactly why councils etc travel policy should refer to People doing X, not drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, bus users etc.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316

The term "cyclist" has temporal connotations, as does "motorist" or "bungee jumper".

It is not the same as a perpetual term such as "child molester" even though this is how the Daily Mail treat cyclists.

They're both (mis)treated the same way aren't they? We like bikes but only spend a small % of time actually riding one. I won't apply that sentence to the Savilles of the world but you see my point.

A perpetual term is surely something more like your ethnicity.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I don't like cars, can't fix cars and I own and drive a car. Does that mean I'm not a motorist?
  • pblakeney
    mrfpb said:

I don't like cars, can't fix cars and I own and drive a car. Does that mean I'm not a motorist?

Motorist, not driver. A subtle difference. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    So one is emotional one is practical?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    pblakeney said:

Like an eye test. Tighter, better or worse.....

Are you sure that’s a trip to the opticians? Sounds more like a gynecologist appointment to me.....

PP
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    MattFalle said:

So one is emotional one is practical?

Surely a person who cycles is someone who uses it purely as a mode of transport to get them from A to B - like a teenager who goes to a mates house, school etc, or an adult who cares not for the machine but uses it as a utility item.

I like the analogy of caring about the components and maintenance etc. Cyclists tend to do it for the act of cycling; the freedom, the exhilaration, the love, the passion, the challenge and for many, the beauty, care and maintenance of the machine as well as the distance, destination(s), routes, company of other cyclists and the whole buzz around ‘the bike’.

That’s my roadie take anyway. MTBers etc the same.

PP

• veronese68

MattFalle said:

Hello.

What do you lot say?

A person who cycles is person centric, and reinforces the human side. Much like people walking, or people driving reinforce a person is doing something, and therefore much easier to assume that someone who walks or drives, may also cycle or catch public transport, and therefore easier to relate to.

A cyclist is a target of hate mongering media and outgrouping, and therefore drives a wedge between people.

So depending on which side of the fence you are asking the question from... i'm both.

This is exactly why councils etc travel policy should refer to People doing X, not drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, bus users etc.
    There are many good points on this thread, but this is the crux of the issue, well said wb2k.