Cervelo Soloist seat post shim

MattFalle
MattFalle Posts: 11,644
Ciao

Has anyone got one of these lying around? I'm about to look at making one was just wondering about what to make it out of - beer can? bean can?

Just not sure on width of material to start consuming product to make it. Do I even have to go to Edwyn's to buy a piece of sheet ali?

Many thanks

M
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    I might have a solution...
    What's the diameter of the seatpin and what is the diamater of the orifice?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    [ooer missus]

• MattFalle
    Thank you very much Pinno but its an aero seat post - Cervelo supplied a small brass shim that everyone lost/crushed ate and it was meant to help stop the seat post tube cracking from overtightening.

I've seen them for sale in a shop in Holland but was just wondering about the dimensions so I could make one from a can of Edwyn's Juice.

Again - thank you and very much appreciated.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    This badger here

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/Replacement-Shim-for-Flippable-Aero-Seatpins/48A

looks to me just like a thin brass shim, nowt special, see.
  • It should be made from beryllium. Marketing will tell you that increases lateral stiffness by 0.376% while saving 0.0714 grams.

Given it’s a bike part, it will cost more than a replacement transmission for a Bugatti Veyron, and have a fixed MTBF of less than 200 days. Buy extras.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • MattFalle
    MF was thinking of using part of a can of Guinness tbh. Maybe two if it needs to be thicker.

#gains
  • pinno
    Just bung some grab adhesive down the seat tube.

#jobdone.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    MattFalle said:

MF was thinking of using part of a can of Guinness tbh. Maybe two if it needs to be thicker.

#gains

Think it has to be a craft IPA these days.

NB Have you just been let out of the cellar and trying to make up for lost posting time?
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

#jobdone.

its not the slipping bit that is the issue - spaffings of carbon paste solves that - its the frame cracking where it wraps around the seat post becauseCervelo never made the seat posts big enough to fill the hole, therefore the shim.

#girth.itmatters
  • MattFalle
    Mad_Malx said:

MattFalle said:

#gains

Think it has to be a craft IPA these days.

NB Have you just been let out of the cellar and trying to make up for lost posting time?
    Think you may be right. This is going tp be a whole new world for MF.

Only some of us were llet out of the cellar - the rest of us are still down there planning world domination.

#itshallbeours
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

#jobdone.

its not the slipping bit that is the issue - spaffings of carbon paste solves that - its the frame cracking where it wraps around the seat post becauseCervelo never made the seat posts big enough to fill the hole, therefore the shim.

#girth.itmatters
    So basically, they are cr4p.

Smash it to bits, set alight to it and chuck...

You know the rest.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

#jobdone.

#girth.itmatters

Ah. Cervelo quality.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I thought they were supposed to be good. So why do dentists and lawyers pay big bucks for them.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

pinno said:

#jobdone.

#girth.itmatters

Ah. Cervelo quality.

This, exactly, 100%. Potentially brilliant bikes - fast, smooth, v v pretty, but basic stupid design faults: the seat post/frame interface on the Soloist, the seat seat post clamp on the older S5, the friggin' stupid press fit bb across the range, the fact that none of them have internal cable guides....

Tbh, if they fit you they are blimmin' comfy and fast but hey, if you pay anything like RRP/SRP they you are very silly and, as I've said before, smash 'em up, just buy another.

Am going to pop to Edwyn's for a sheet of ali and a gossip with Clytheroe of Llannelli.

#prettybutflawed
  • MattFalle

I thought they were supposed to be good. So why do dentists and lawyers pay big bucks for them.

because they buy them from retailers and don't wait the 6 months until the paint schemes are last years and there massively discounted.

#don'tgetmugged
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

pinno said:

#jobdone.

#girth.itmatters
    So basically, they are cr4p.

Smash it to bits, set alight to it and chuck...

You know the rest.
    not totes cr4p, just badly designed in some major respecrs. So I'd say cr not cr4p.

#hammerfirethrow
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle said:

because they believe the hype and buy them from retailers and don't wait the 6 months until the paint schemes are last years and there massively discounted.

#don'tgetmugged
  • MattFalle
    And they have a stupid sloping top tubes which are as ugly as thatcher's heart and a reason in themselves not to buy one.

Its the one visual bit of MF's S3 he doesn't like (which, by the way, now has a new groupset, 'new new 'bars, new new stem and new new wheels as he has got rid of all the tat that came on it) and looks better than every other bike on here apart from Dirk.