Lightweight Tubeless Rim Brake Wheelset Advice - £400 Budget

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my standard wheels to something more lightweight and have a budget of around £400.

Looking for something tubeless-ready and can accommodate rim brakes and 28mm tyres.

I've seen good reviews of Scribe Pace/Race wheels as well as Hunt Aero Wide wheels. Might anyone have any experience using either of these and care to share?

I'm also intrigued if anyone has any other recommendations and whether they believe the second-hand market is a good route. I wouldn't know where to start with this so would appreciate some guidance on what to look for should I choose to purchase second-hand.

Thanks a lot,

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    For your budget you could consider some handbuilt wheels. Malcolm at Cycleclinic would be one to consider. For example his Borg 31 All-Weather Aero wheels are bang on budget

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/borg31-wheelset

Plenty on here, including me, have experience of Macolm's handbuilts and can vouch for the quality and durability. Also they can be fixed easily when wear and tear demands a service.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Avoid the Hunts - overpriced for what they are (bog basic rims and spokes and hubs and a big marketing/purchaser gullibility tag thrown on). Much better available.

For the price, go to Malcolm as above.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Malcolm will make great wheels and they won't let you down. I've also had good wheels from DCR Wheels who'll make something that ticks all your boxes and should come in on budget as well.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    If you’re willing to go the Chinese direct route then I’d recommend Farsports
  • What’s the score then with hand built wheels by Malcolm at Cycleclinic? Why are they better than anything mass produced?
  • MattFalle
    Also he hasn't pumped a shedload of money into marketing a very average wheel like a Hunt and persuading people that they are good.

Hunt have great marketing, very not so great wheels. Far better available for the money across their entire range.Top dollar, average quality.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    He uses good quality components like Sapim spokes and Miche hubs that are readily available pretty much everywhere and relatively affordable. He builds wheels with the buyers specific needs catered for such as their weight, intended use, spoke count, etc in mind. He offers an amazing warranty. He has lots of satisfied customers and quite a few on this forum, me included. He's a small independent retailer that you might want to support rather than some big, faceless corporation.
  • Cheers guys.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    I've had handbuilt wheelsets from Malcolm and also DCR which have been great.

My Farsports carbon wheels have been spot on too though, absolutely no complaints about their service and quality.

Horses for courses really...
  • MattFalle
    Nothing at all wrong with Farsports tbh - have them in a couple of bikes.

look good, work well, cheap enough not to worry about too much.

remember though, deeper is better so nice deep rims

#depthisimportant
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    MattFalle said:

Nothing at all wrong with Farsports tbh - have them in a couple of bikes.

look good, work well, cheap enough not to worry about too much.

remember though, deeper is better so nice deep rims

#depthisimportant

Yes go deep or go home
  • Depth is only important for aero gains. If these matter little then depth is not important.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    No. Incorrect. Wrong.

Depth is everything

Aero

Speed

Noise

Coolness

Souplesse

Attracting members of the opposite/same sex/gender fluid

Annoying clubbies (this is the most important part)

Making yo'bike look rad

Everything else is secondary. Stuff practicality - that's boring and ain't nobody got time for that.

#depthmatters
    #deeperthebetter
    #godeeporgohome
    #phatrims
  • MattFalle
    oxoman said:

Go the whole hog and have a full rear disc wheel. People hear you coming and if it's breezy you look a plonker as little old ladies on zimmer frames pass you.

Fignon, non?
  • pippi_langsamer-2
    pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
    edited January 2021
    Seem like a bit of a bargain....

https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swiss-er-1600-spline-32-disc-road-wheelset-700c-112361.html

Sure, not the lightest but DT have a reputation as having good builds (and a nice 350 hub)

Edit- just realised you wanted rim brake. Doh!
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    Just Riding Along haven't been mentioned yet. I have a set of the Lark Lights, which seem nice enough, although I haven't got any other handbuilts to compare them with. There is also the Lark Strong option if you are a heavier rider, and some scope to customise.