Tyres and tubes on Boardman CX team

eavesy31
eavesy31 Posts: 38
edited December 2020 in Road general
Hi, I’m looking to change my inner tubes to slime tubes due to punctures on the way to work. The bike has Mavic cx wheels but struggling to find a tube to fit. Tube inside is 700x35-43. Also any advice on a smoother tyre as ones on the bike are swalbe rapid robs. Any ideas people ??

Comments

• Can anyone offer some advice please
  • I’ve started using the boardman for the winter commute and the robs are ok but I know something a bit smoother would benefit me... the rapid rob are 28 x 1.35 so I’m not sure if what size to buy I’m the marathons plus.. the tube inside was a kenda 700cc doe this mean a 700cc tyre will fit the wheel ?? Wheels are Mavis xm319 disc...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Yes a 700c will fit if that’s what you got on now.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Yes, 700x35. Be warned, Marathon Plus are a pig to fit and don't feel great. But you are unlikely to puncture.
  • Oxoman V68 thanks very much for your help.... are we saying the Marathons can be a bit slippy ?? And I able to fit a 700c tyre on these mavic wheels...
  • Yea I’ve done a bit of Googling and 28inch the same as 700c sounds like a tough choice as I don’t want to go less than 32 as occasionally come across leaves potholes etc on the roads around Birmingham.... I’m thinking the marathons will be very different to the rapid robs ??
  • You might just be able to fit true to size (which is never a certainty these days) 700x38mm slicks and have clearance to the chain stays and seat tube.

I've never tried it, but some swear GP4000S IIs were fine for grip in the chilly days like we're expecting on the English south coast tonight, in which case a pair of 32mm GP5000 might feel wonderful, albeit a pair of 32mm GP4 Seasons might offer more punture protection.

Currently, I have a 38mm https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s122p4645/SCHWALBE-Marathon-Cross-HS470 up front and a 35mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro II (bought years ago but barely ever used) on the rear on my commuter hybrid, but probably fitting at least one 38mm Gravdal ice spike tyre tonight... Trying to use tyres I have, rather than buy something newer and better!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Great tips everyone.... appreciate the help... ultimately I need some puncture protection as when on the way to work I don’t have time to repair or time to walk whatever distance is left.... 😂 I’ll have a look tonight and try and make a calculated decision .... 👍🏻
  • oxoman said:

They will be faster than the mtb tyres you already use. I only use 28s on my road bikes and not found it a problem. Any big pothole will rattle your teeth regardless of tyre size. Fatbike doesn't count. The trick is to look far enough ahead to be able miss them.

Wouldn’t count on that, the Rapid Robs are budget CX/Gravel tyres they are essentially older Racing Ralph rebadged. IE older rather less posh rubber but still race tyres both XC MTB and CX/Gravel form.

Marathon pluses are great tyres but they are heavy harsh and fairly slow rolling.
  • It was the robs that had a puncture with a small slither of glass... hence the reason for looking for an alternative
  • Are we saying that the marathon plus are going to roll faster than the robs ??
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    eavesy31 said:

Are we saying that the marathon plus are going to roll faster than the robs ??

Yes. it's a road friendly tread pattern. It may weigh more (I dont know the weights) but will be a lot easier to push over the road surface.

My experience is that Marathon plus are more puncture resistant than the GP4 seasons (I had one of each on my commuter for a while).
  • eavesy31 said:

Are we saying that the marathon plus are going to roll faster than the robs ??

I’d not count on it, the Rapid Robs are based off Racing Ralph, which are race tyres in either MTB or CX form.

The Marathon plus is dramatically heavier, with stiff sidewalls, does have less knobby design but even so, this is not a fast tyre, nor intended to be.

The Marathon Plus are very durable and puncture proof, should last 10k but they are quite uncomfortable and poor grip/slow.

Glass will penetrate most tyres, I have used Marathons plus on various bikes over the years they are great tyres but for most it’s overkill, including myself.

Maybe think about something like a plain Marathon? It’s still a heavy tyre but not as, M+ is just shy of 1KG which I promise you will notice!

I moved to something similar which is the BigApple, for my commute beastie, as I noticed that the glass hadn’t penetrated though the casing, bike feels soo much better!

• The big apples look decent... sizing wise do I need a 28inch. I notice they don’t come in 700c as they are regarded as a hybrid/touring tyre
  • eavesy31 said:

The big apples look decent... sizing wise do I need a 28inch. I notice they don’t come in 700c as they are regarded as a hybrid/touring tyre

They do but it’s much larger size, as it’s intended as a balloon tyre, ie 700 -50/55/60 ie big MTB almost slicks.

But stuff like schwalbe Marathon is close enough, ie not the plus version, I’ve used both. Or possibly something like the land cruiser fairly cheap and basic, but fairly robust.

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I'd recommend the Schwalbe Marathon greenguard (not the Plus), either 700x35 or 700x38.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s142p3001/SCHWALBE-Marathon-Greenguard-HS420

It strikes a great balance between puncture protection and rolling resistance and is cheap at Spa Cycles.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.