Essential upgrades for a cheap bike

Hi, I just bought a cheap second hand road bike for under £200 (Merlin S2200) as I'm new to road biking and want to try it out before spending a fortune.
I also own a decent quality hardtail mtb (Nukeproof Scout) with a few essential upgrades including Hope wheels, dropper post, XT groupset, Burgtec pedals etc, so can appreciate decent quality (💰💰😂) components.
So what is the first thing I should upgrade without spending a fortune to make the bike a bit better?
I've invested in a pair of Shimano SPD pedals as a start off, mtb style as I havn't risen clipless before.

Comments

• Nothing unless it's worn out.

Enjoy it, and then if you like it, you'll probably want a different frame, more than 8 speed gearing etc. Possibly not realistically worth upgrading on that bike though.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited December 2020

Nothing unless it's worn out.

Enjoy it, and then if you like it, you'll probably want a different frame, more than 8 speed gearing etc. Possibly not realistically worth upgrading on that bike though.

This 100%.

Don't waste your money on replacing things that isn't necessary.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I'd go with what has already been said. Ride it and see how you get on, if you really enjoy road cycling and you have the budget for it, at some point soon you'll likely just end up buying a better bike. Save the money you would have spent on upgrades for this.
  • The only thing I'd suggest is a saddle and that's only if your bottom doesn't get on with the one already on the bike.

Nothing will put you off a road cycling like an arse in agony.
  • That's a fair comment, as has been said, I will probably just end up buying a better bike, everything works, so if it sees me through the winter then all's good 👍
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    As above re saddle and pedals with shoes that fit/are comfy.

Then just ride it and smile and laugh and don't join a club.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • New brake blocks might be worthwhile if you're used to decent disc brakes on the Mtb you may find rim brakes a bit weak in comparison.

Kool-stop or Swissstop are good and don't cost too much.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140
    Decent tyres (Conti Gp5000s) made a massive positive difference to my old bike.
    A pair of those is not cheap compared to the cost of the bike overall (though there may be Black Friday/Cyber Monday prices out there still) but they can probably be moved onto your next bike, so not a lost cost.
  • Tyres make more difference that any other component.
    And some better brake pads as above.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Service it making sure the brakes work and that you are confident the gears and the chain will last long enough to let you ride.
  • Upgrade bit by bit before the parts wear out. Then eventually you can get a new frame, hang all the newer parts off of it and then rebuild the old bike with the old parts and sell it.
  • Upgrade bit by bit before the parts wear out. Then eventually you can get a new frame, hang all the newer parts off of it and then rebuild the old bike with the old parts and sell it.

Wouldn't the groupset probably need to happen all in one go?

Wouldn't the groupset probably need to happen all in one go?
    Shifters rd and cassette, yes.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    contact points, bars, pedals, tyres. Just had a fiddle around, without spending a fortune.
    Insert bike here:
  • tight_git said:

New brake blocks might be worthwhile if you're used to decent disc brakes on the Mtb you may find rim brakes a bit weak in comparison.

Definitely with you on this, the brakes seemed pretty poor, but I thought it might be me not being used to the lever position. Hydraulic disc brakes are so much better though.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

tight_git said:

New brake blocks might be worthwhile if you're used to decent disc brakes on the Mtb you may find rim brakes a bit weak in comparison.

Definitely with you on this, the brakes seemed pretty poor, but I thought it might be me not being used to the lever position. Hydraulic disc brakes are so much better though.
    theres nothi g wrong properly set up decent calipers brakes on a road bike tbh but people do love to swallow marketing.

caliper brakes seemed to work ok at this years t de f.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.