Cassette fitting help

I'm fitting a cassette to a new wheel and trying to tighten the lock ring however I cannot get the last ring of my cassette onto the freehub body. When I then attempt to tighten the lockring the the last ring on the casette spins with it rather than sliding onto the freehub.

I'm fitting an 11 speed miche (campag fit) to a new set of campag zonda wheels. I know the casette works fine as I have taken it off a set of mavics I had and that fitted no problems. I have cleaned the casette and ensured I'm not including any additional spacers.

Any suggestions are welcome asi want to ride my bike.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have you tried pushing down on the tool as you turn it? It sometimes takes a bit of pressure to get the lockring to start to engage with the thread.
  • mrb123 said:

Have you tried pushing down on the tool as you turn it? It sometimes takes a bit of pressure to get the lockring to start to engage with the thread.

The lockring is engaging fine, it's the last ring on the casette that spins with the lock ring, even though between 2 of us we do our best to hold the casette ring in place so that it would engage with the free hub body. It's like the freehub body is too short but campag don't do diff sozes for 9/10 speed from what I read.

Hope this clarifys the problem.

• Strange one, are you able to measure your old hub and compare with your new hub?
    Can you confirm they are the same size?

• Strange one, are you able to measure your old hub and compare with your new hub?
    Can you confirm they are the same size?

With a tape measure I gave it a go and it seemed it was potentially fractionly shorter. But I don't understand as campag I thought only had the hub that was for 9 - 12 speed so wouldn't be an issue... I'm no mechanic but that's my understanding of it.
  • Are you 100 percent sure you’ve got the last sprocket properly aligned with the next one up? It can appear to be in the right position, but not actually be, try turning it bit by bit and see if you can get a proper solid engagement.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Are you 100 percent sure you’ve got the last sprocket properly aligned with the next one up? It can appear to be in the right position, but not actually be, try turning it bit by bit and see if you can get a proper solid engagement.

Blimey he's not talking twot you know.
  • To round this off- I took it to the LBS and they basically couldn't quite pin down what was going on but where saying there was an issue with the cassette but were un able to say exactly what other than it could have been right at the edge of machining tolerances.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

To round this off- I took it to the LBS and they basically couldn't quite pin down what was going on but where saying there was an issue with the cassette but were un able to say exactly what other than it could have been right at the edge of machining tolerances.

didnt they bother to measure the cassette and the freehub?
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited December 2020
    Well i can hand on heart say i never never found a miche campag fit cassette to be faulty. And taking it to an lbs down not really help. Most have never fitted one. Being a miche dealer. Send the wheel to me. I will make it work and tell you what i did. Ill only charge you return shipping.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Most of the time its something daft like the spacer where on is mot supposed to be. I won't guess though. I am a doer not a guesser.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Well i can hand on heart say i never never found a miche campag fit cassette to be faulty. And taking it to an lbs down not really help. Most have never fitted one. Being a miche dealer. Send the wheel to me. I will make it work and tell you what i did. Ill only charge you return shipping.

Can’t say fairer than that

Marvellous!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    That's a brilliant offer, Malcolm ( @cycleclinic ).

Chapeau.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/