Mavic Ksyrium Elite - Rusty Spokes

I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. They are around 7 years old and have developed some rust on the spokes.
How concerned should I be?
Can I treat the rust? Sand / scrub down and repaint the spokes?
I found this post (https://radare.net/2020/04/painting-rusty-spokes-on-a-mavic-ksyrium-wheelset) from someone who has the same problem and has taken this approach.
Note that my wheels are not as rusty as those in the post, I can't provide photos at the moment though as the bike is getting a respray.
Thanks

Comments

• Ignore it
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sand, use a rust converter and quick spray would make them look nice. Alternatively, if the hubs and rims are good buy a load of high quality replacements. Ther are not expensive. It's fairly easy to replace each one at a time.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    edited November 2020
    Ignore it and ignore him ^
    It's a non issue, clean with some metal wool if the looks really offends you, then leave alone
    left the forum March 2023
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    It sounds like the spokes are the same as the ones on Mavic Aksium wheels.

Once they have gone rusty they are OK unless they become loose.
    Then they are firmly corroded to the nipple and you are more likely to twist the spoke rather than turn the nipple.

Finally replacement spokes are not cheap and are made of the same rusting steel.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Rub them down then paint them with black nail varnish or a different colour on each spoke.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited November 2020

Ignore it and ignore him ^
    It's a non issue, clean with some metal wool if the looks really offends you, then leave alone

Wot ugo sed innit. Ugo knows
    :)
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Go to Halfords.

Buy some black paint

Apply

Job jobbed

#rattlecan
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.