massively entitled sportsman believes another privileged anti white sportsman should be knighted.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    Maybe have a wee think to yourself about your thread title, then maybe change it?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    What was it the Pogues replied to Laurence Fox? I think Mr 37 wants to put himself in the same bracket
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Someone has a chip on each shoulder by the sound of it!
    In what way is Andy Murray 'massively entitled' and how is Lewis Hamilon 'anti white'?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    To be fair he should be knighted (if we gloss over objections to the whole honours system) for services to sport - I don't really care for motorsport but his achievement in coming from a non-wealthy background to be in the conversation about the GOAT is special.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited November 2020

To be fair he should be knighted (if we gloss over objections to the whole honours system) for services to sport - I don't really care for motorsport but his achievement in coming from a non-wealthy background to be in the conversation about the GOAT is special.

If you think he didn’t come from a privileged background, you need to look up the term ‘privileged background’. People like to paint him as ‘poor little Lewis from da ghetto’ nothing could be further from the truth. He’s had more ‘leg ups’ than a 10 dollar hooker during his career as well. I’ll concede that he’s one of the best of the current crop, but over half of the current grid could have achieved what he has, given his car, and team. He couldn’t beat Rosberg, when they were in the same car, and same team, which speaks volumes. He also couldn’t outdrive the dodgy Mclarens he was supplied with, for a while at McLaren. He also couldn’t hold a candle to Alonso whilst at McLaren ( without whinging to uncle Ron, and getting the leg up he needed). Is he a good driver? yes, is he the G.O.A.T? Not even close. Moss, Fangio, Ascari, Senna, Stewart, Schumacher, Hunt, Hawthorn, the list goes on and on, all managed to prove they were far greater ( despite the difficulties in comparing drivers from different eras). Is he worth a Knighthood? As soon as he spends enough time living in Great Britain, and contributes more to Great Britain, possibly. I’m aware of his tax bill, given his U.K. interests, but that’s not the same thing.
  • wtf?
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    As an Alonso fan... WTF too. Lewis is clearly on the GOAT shortlist, period. Whoever brings "it's only the car" only for him must remember very few championships have been won with the second best car, and pretty much none with the third best (perhaps 1982?).

He's also anti-white, in that he may be pissed by all those white supremacists, and privilege denialists.
  • wtf?

Do you really need everything spelling out to you? It’s like being in one of those schools for ‘gifted’ children in here sometimes ( most of the time).
  • drhaggis said:

As an Alonso fan... WTF too. Lewis is clearly on the GOAT shortlist, period. Whoever brings "it's only the car" only for him must remember very few championships have been won with the second best car, and pretty much none with the third best (perhaps 1982?).

He's also anti-white, in that he may be pissed by all those white supremacists, and privilege denialists.

Most drivers who get the best car / team, do so on merit. Hamilton is one of the very few drivers who that doesn’t apply to.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    The GOAT is Rosberg. he is the only person to beat Schumacher and Hamilton.

His dad also had an excellent moustache.
    Insert bike here:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,906

drhaggis said:

Most drivers who get the best car / team, do so on merit. Hamilton is one of the very few drivers who that doesn’t apply to.
    Yea. The most successful team with the best car just hired Hamilton for the heck of it.

• To be fair he should be knighted (if we gloss over objections to the whole honours system) for services to sport - I don't really care for motorsport but his achievement in coming from a non-wealthy background to be in the conversation about the GOAT is special.

He should be knighted but he should be retired from the sport first before receiving the knighthood for his achievements.

He is a massive hypocrite though and he stains his own reputation with this and his attitude. And it is because of this I will not shed a tear for every year that he does not receive the recognition.

My view on Murray has changed as he has matured as a sportsman. His Children in Need/charity sketches over the years, including this year, is something someone like him should be doing in their position. I struggle to see Hamilton doing something similar right now and saying that shows how he is seen by many. I suspect and hope he'll mature given time.
  • To be fair he should be knighted (if we gloss over objections to the whole honours system) for services to sport - I don't really care for motorsport but his achievement in coming from a non-wealthy background to be in the conversation about the GOAT is special.

He should be knighted but he should be retired from the sport first before receiving the knighthood for his achievements.

He is a massive hypocrite though and he stains his own reputation with this and his attitude. And it is because of this I will not shed a tear for every year that he does not receive the recognition.

My view on Murray has changed as he has matured as a sportsman. His Children in Need/charity sketches over the years, including this year, is something someone like him should be doing in their position. I struggle to see Hamilton doing something similar right now and saying that shows how he is seen by many. I suspect and hope he'll mature given time.
    Compare and contrast Hamilton to Mansell, Button or Rosberg.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Probably deserves it more than many who are on the honours list for merely being cronies/mates with a politician.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2020
    Anybody who thinks James Hunt can be mentioned in any conversation about the greatest of all time is retarded. Oh look who it was that said that 🙄

Hamilton is clearly the most successful driver of the modern era and he's done it without resorting to the dirty tricks that Schumacher did on more than a few occasions so I'd rate Lewis above Michael for that. I think in motorsport the fastest drivers/riders tend to find themselves in the fastest cars and bikes because the team owners know their value and want them in their teams for that very reason, so the suggestion that it's just about the car doesn't really hold up.. There are notable exceptions to this rule but it's more often than not the case. Any great champion also has to have longevity and prove themselves over a long period of time, so thats why names like Ali, Nicklaus, Woods, Doohan rate higher than their contemporaries, and Hamilton has certainly stood the test of time and still has a good few seasons in him I'd say. Is he the GOAT? I'd say not. For me Fangio holds that accolade and I'd maybe put Senna, Stewart and a couple of others in the mix. From the birth of F1 until the early to mid 70s you had pretty good odds of dying at the wheel in any given season and those guys had to be either very brave of totally fearless, often racing on public roads like the Nurbergring and the original Spa circuit in cars that were effectively bombs. That and the standard of opposition they faced sets them apart from Hamilton for me. Those guys also had to manage their cars, tyres and fuel much more than modern drivers do where so much is done from the pit lane and on-board computers. For all the right reasons modern F1 is boring. Sterile tracks, drivers with robotic personalities, incredibly reliable cars, little overtaking. We'll never know if Hamilton could have been as successful in a more dangerous era and in a less forgiving car but we do know what Fangio et al achieved and we have to give them their props for that. I don't like Hamilton but I do recognise his immense talent. I don't care if he gets a knighthood or not to be honest because the whole honours system seems so full of contradictions and anomalies. I dare say if he really wanted one sooner he could have tidied up his tax affairs and played the game but hey ho.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    It’s so nice to know Trump has taken time of from posting conspiracy theories on Twitter to join our little forum and start a thread too. 😂
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

wtf?

Do you really need everything spelling out to you? It’s like being in one of those schools for ‘gifted’ children in here sometimes ( most of the time).
    He was trying to be nice. Why don't you tell the group what the points score at the end of his first year against Alonso at Mclaren was. Screw it you are obviously an idiot so I wont be so nice and not point out your stupidity. Hamilton and Alonso finished on 109 points, a single point behind Raikonnen. Pretty impressive start for a rookie season. The only way Alonso pissed all over Lewis that year was if he actually pissed on him.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So Coopster and muncher are in bed together. All we need is that Texan pilot to join in.
  • john80 said:

wtf?

He was trying to be nice. Why don't you tell the group what the points score at the end of his first year against Alonso at Mclaren was. Screw it you are obviously an idiot so I wont be so nice and not point out your stupidity. Hamilton and Alonso finished on 109 points, a single point behind Raikonnen. Pretty impressive start for a rookie season. The only way Alonso pissed all over Lewis that year was if he actually pissed on him.
    More still, Alonso finished the last race ahead of Lewis, so if he had let him pass Lewis, and therefore the team, would have won the WC. Alonso prevented his team winning the WC when all he had to do was let him past! and then to engineer a move to Ferrari, he grassed up McClaren for the spy stuff. Not to mention getting nelson picquet jr to deliberately crash his car to provoke a safety car. No wonder no-one wants him back in F1.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited November 2020
    David37's advice in the forum's Workshop section is spot on. There's some kind of short circuit happening though, when we venture off topic.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • He will probably get knighted, as you don't win 7 world titles without being knighted. That said, I never found his titles particularly remarkable, just in the same way as I never found Schumacher's titles remarkable... the question is: how many titles would he have won on another car?
    Formula one these days is ALL about the car you drive. He did beat Bottas and the other pilots who were there before Bottas, so that's to his credit... and that's about it.

Given his status, he could have done more outside of his sport, to raise his profile, I guess... does he pay tax in the UK at least, or is he another one tax avoider who gets a title?
    left the forum March 2023
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

He will probably get knighted, as you don't win 7 world titles without being knighted. That said, I never found his titles particularly remarkable, just in the same way as I never found Schumacher's titles remarkable... the question is: how many titles would he have won on another car?
    Formula one these days is ALL about the car you drive. He did beat Bottas and the other pilots who were there before Bottas, so that's to his credit... and that's about it.

Given his status, he could have done more outside of his sport, to raise his profile, I guess... does he pay tax in the UK at least, or is he another one tax avoider who gets a title?

I got the impression he was a foreign domicile non tax payer.

I also think his black power salutes just as bad as white supremacist actions.
  • david37 said:

He will probably get knighted, as you don't win 7 world titles without being knighted. That said, I never found his titles particularly remarkable, just in the same way as I never found Schumacher's titles remarkable... the question is: how many titles would he have won on another car?

I got the impression he was a foreign domicile non tax payer.

I also think his black power salutes just as bad as white supremacist actions.
    If he doesn't pay tax in the UK, then IMO no honorific titles should be handed out... he can always apply to get one from Monaco or wherever his tax status is registered.

I don't want to get into the black race thing... not interested
    left the forum March 2023