GT Grade 2020 Elite AL - what are the mounting points on the forks for?

My forks have two bolt holes - one just above the drop-out and one mid-way up the fork. They are too far apart to be for a bottle cage, so can anyone tell what they are for?

I've searched on line and its not clear. The higher-specced GT Grades have a row of three mounting holes which could obviously be used for bottle cages etc, but not mine.

Help!

Cheers

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    This is for the 2021 bike, it may apply to the 2020 bike also and seems to suggest that they are for mounting a rack. Lower mounts could possibly be used for a mudguard.
    GT Grade Expert Gravel Bike 2021

"The alloy frame amalgamates robustness and lateral stiffness while remaining light to give reliability across rough terrain and an enthusiastic climbing sensation. This frame incorporates GT’s Triple Triangle design that heightens comfort across rutted riding surfaces thanks to its floating seatstays. The carbon fork further improves comfort by damping vibrations and a multitude of rack mounting points across the frameset enables the longest rides to be tackled fully equipped".
  • Thanks dj58. I think you are right - maybe its intended for a bigger rack. The upper of the two holes does have a thread in it, but it is recessed into the fork, so not a standard bottle cage type mount.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This image might help with visualising what that upper threaded fixing point on the fork is used for.

The threaded hole near the dropout will be for mudguard fixing but may also double up as a lower fixing point for some "low rider" rack designs as in the link below.

https://www.cjperformancecycles.com/accessories/racks-luggage/rfr-standard-lowrider-bike-rack-in-black__34458?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=13786&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXsoqMxGNFk69oOoJLf2hRX--7wCHEkOhfCnsXus1qEUU1Fe3Hios5hoCNS8QAvD_BwE
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2020
    Was intrigued by the question so had a quick search and spotted this image too:-

Also this article mentioning MPG, (mount points galore):-

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/gt-grade-2020/
  • Thanks both for the pix and links - that makes more sense now.

All the Grades have a carbon fork, but only the top end models seem to get the bottle mount holes - seems a bit stingy! And means they have to produce two variants.