Kraken new gear change

Hi
Is it possible to strip all the gearing off the new carrera kraken (18 speed) and replace it with the 2019 kraken model gearing, everything? I do mostly country lanes , hill climbing and fast downhill on tarmac and also moor land trails. Or could anyone recommend a bike with the specs of 27 gears, 14 kg, 27.5 or 29er 120 mm+ air fork travel and maybe the option of adding a dropper post later on for the Xcode trails. Thanks. Fitz

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2020
    Yes easy enough to swap all drivetrain components over if 27 speeds is the most important thing you require.

Only very low end, older bikes come with 27 speeds these days for that reason it would be difficult to find the one with air fork and 14 kilo weight requirements too.

There may be something new for sale that will have what you need, but you will only have a very small choice of bikes if any.

Dropper come in different sizes and fitting methods so most mountain bikes will allow fitting for a dropper post.
  • https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html suggests the Kraken's default spec gearing will have a range of approx 16.9-90.6 gear inches.

My 2020 Voodoo Marasa has a triple 27-speed (26/36/48 I think) and 11-34 cassette, the gear inch range is approx 20.8-118.6, only the two biggest gears are greater than 90.6 gear inches.

On my way to work, I descend an ~5% hill, where I briefly can use those two top gears if isn't a prevailing headwind. On the way home, I often use the easiest gear to crawl up one of Southampton's steepest little inclines that hits ~13%

For speed, there would be a lot of value in fitting a longer stem; lowering the stem; fitting a slimmer front tyre etc. Potential aero gains are massive on hybrids and mountain bikes!

Unless you definitely need that 16.9 gear inch, maybe consider simply replacing the 22/36 rings for something like 24/38 or perhaps even 26/40, which would give you an approx range of 20.0-100.7 gear inches.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Lee373
    Lee373 Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice. I also have a bizango ( 2020 model) and I find it a struggle on steepest climbs and it feels like I'm missing that last cog for max speed coming down but with my kraken it seems every gear I need is there. Would you think I'd be better off converting my bizango 11 speed to a 12?
  • reaperactual
    edited November 2020
    Some cassettes will allow a 10 tooth small cog instead of 11 teeth so won't be much difference in regards top speed and you would need a new hub with a different freehub for that little gain.

A bigger rear 1st gear cog (eg: 50t on a 12 speed) cassette will only improve climbing.

For better top speed the best, cheapest and easiest way to go would be a larger chainring.

• Lee373
    Only very low end, older bikes come with 27 speeds these days for that reason it would be difficult to find the one with air fork and 14 kilo weight requirements too.

There may be something new for sale that will have what you need, but you will only have a very small choice of bikes if any.

Do you have any idea why this is? I know the 3 mech cause. More. Grief than a single or a double but I use mine on ruff, pot holed muddy lanes so a road or a cycle cross is out of the question. I need the front shocks and the small gears because I leave my house and straight away I'm on 12% hill climb up a sodden field then steep country lane for the first 10 miles before I hit the Moor trails or carry on up moel famu.
    Sorry.I'm bitching now at Halford
  • reaperactual
    edited November 2020
    Mainly because triples are older tech. Doubles and single groupsets can still provide similar range but more geared for climbing with bigger cassettes at the expense of top speed.

It is near enough impossible for various reasons to achieve wide range gearing with 1x drivetrains.

Customising cassettes and chainrings is about getting the best range for where you ride with the least compromise.

This is the situation in general and Halfords is not really to blame, lol!
  • Lee373
    Thanks for all your advice. I think I'm going to go with the bigger cassettes because 80% of my rides are climbing.
  • No worries Pal. Yeah, good option as replacing the cassette on the Bizango if it has an 11-42 to an 11-46 for example will make a difference to your steep climbs and relatively easy to do.
  • Lee373
    Hi again
    I've come across a Boardman MHT 8.8 12 Speed 29er. This bike matches the bizango on paper, specs but withe bigger cassette already but I can't find any proper reviews. Would anyone have an opinions between the boardman and the bizango. Thanks
  • Lee373
    Does anyone have any decent thoughts on upgrades for my carrera kraken. I'd like some new forks ( air) and stronger wheels. Something to absorb the gravel tracks. I've had to replace a few broken spokes and brake calibe9. And also the stem. It has a ebay special alloy wake brand and Im afraid it'll shatter on a decent bump. Thanks
  • reaperactual
    edited November 2020
    Considering your requirements and the upgrades you want personally I wouldn't put any money into the Kraken. This would end up costing most of what it would cost buying the Boardman.

The Boardman has the 1x12 drivetrain that will suit perfectly where you ride, has hydraulic brakes, air forks and inherently stronger Boost wheels so ticks all the boxes in one new bike purchase.

My suggestion would be buy the Boardman or upgrade the Bizango with the necessary 12 speed components.

Maybe sell the Kraken as is, use it as a third bike when needed or see it as an upgrade project just for fun.
  • Lee373
    Thanks again for your advice.