Marketing stupidity

david37
david37 Posts: 1,313
no one is surprised to see a road bike for 10K or more anymore, the costs of developement are coming down and the massive brands like specialized must have even better benifits of scale.

Fair enough i get it, its a life style thing. But tools??????

Park tool for egsample rebrand loads of tools such as hex keys, their tools are ok but nothing special. OK some very specific bike stuff like freewheel and freehub tools are good and reasonably priced but the other stuff......

the latest tools being a case in point. Theyve released a slide hammer for bearing removal. its a £15 tool from Amazon or goodness knows how much if you get a park one.

Again fair enough if a consumer gets a pleasure from owning "blue tools" but certainly it seems anything with the word cycling before it gets a MASSIVE hike up in price.

Rant over :).

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    david37 said:

no one is surprised to see a road bike for 10K or more anymore, the costs of developement are coming down and the massive brands like specialized must have even better benifits of scale.

Park tool for egsample rebrand loads of tools such as hex keys, their tools are ok but nothing special. OK some very specific bike stuff like freewheel and freehub tools are good and reasonably priced but the other stuff......

the latest tools being a case in point. Theyve released a slide hammer for bearing removal. its a £15 tool from Amazon or goodness knows how much if you get a park one.

Again fair enough if a consumer gets a pleasure from owning "blue tools" but certainly it seems anything with the word cycling before it gets a MASSIVE hike up in price.

So, buy cheap tools. There are plenty to be had. Don't follow your complaint.
  • david37 said:

ask the missus how much she is willing to pay for a handbag and some cosmetics. Then come back and tell me bikes and tools are too expensive!