What bearing puller?

I am wanting to service the bearings in my wheels - sealed cartridge bearings - but it's a minefield of what tool(s) I need to buy. Is there a generic sized puller that covers all wheel or can someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2020
    A Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set comes with expanding collets which lock behind the inner race of the bearings and a screw in slide hammer to pull them out.

Come in various sizes and pieces for a range of bearing sizes. This 9 piece set for example is for between 9-34mm inner diameter bearings:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mekanik-9pc-Blind-Bearing-Puller/dp/B013K8IBZY

These can't be used with certain kinds of captive axle hubs such as Hope which you would normally just knock the bearings out with the axle itself.
  • Great, thank you
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    or save money and use a hammer and a drift or even old screwdriver. I have a blind puller and slide hammer like in the link, its ok. I also have a set of wheels mfring expanding collet things which are expensive but work superbly well but take more time than a simple hammer and drift.

a hammer which you probably have already plus drift from Amazon or the bay is by far the cheapest method Its the one i use now at least once a week and i have all the other options :).

That said, taking a hammer to your wheels is pretty daunting first time round.
  • You'll find that pulling the old bearings out is the easy bit. Most of mine can be removed with the hammer method above, which admittedly may damage the bearing due to the different forces on the inner and outer races, but at less than £5 per bearing that's not too dramatic. Pressing the new/serviced bearings is an altogether more difficult task especially on the rear wheel, and for that you'll need adaptors specific to each bearing size being installed, so that they go in straight and with even force on the inner and outer races. bikeparts.co.uk stocks lots of the adaptors.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I can understand punching the old bearings out with a drift (carefully). However, I don't
    recommend installing them by this method. Buy the proper bearing install tool.