Miche Freehub bearings

I've successfully replaced failed bearings in my Miche Primato freehub so when a friend said his had failed I offered to do the same.

However he has a Miche 6 bolt disc hub and the freehub is a different beast.
With my freehub both bearings come out of the cassette lockring end of the freehub after removing a circlip that holds the inner bearing in place.

After removing the outer bearing from his freehub I saw that there was no way the inner bearing was coming out that way :-

So the only way it can come out is from the other end of the freehub which implies that the black section hold the pawls unscrews :-

Anyone know anymore about these freehubs?

Thanks

Comments

• It can probably come out the dropout side if you use a bearing puller... one of those sliding hammer based ones
    left the forum March 2023
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I don't think that is possible.
    If you look at the first picture you can't actually see the outer race of the bearing.
  • paulbnix
    Sorry Ugo I misunderstood your comment I'll have another look.
  • paulbnix
    Doesn't look like there is any way out from that end

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    edited November 2020
    paulbnix said:

Doesn't look like there is any way out from that end

I mean the other end, I said dropout end... but yes, now I can see it's trapped there too...
    Weird
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    yes bash it into the freehub and then down out the side the other bearing left by. I know it looks like it shouldnt but it will. UGO is right
  • paulbnix
    david37 said:

yes bash it into the freehub and then down out the side the other bearing left by. I know it looks like it shouldnt but it will. UGO is right

Be nice if it did but it definitely won’t.

I’m going to see if the top will screw off .....

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    paulbnix said:

david37 said:

Be nice if it did but it definitely won’t.

I’m going to see if the top will screw off .....

Have you tried?
  • paulbnix
    I've tried.

The inner bearing cannot be drifted out and the black top part of the freehub seems to be firmly attached to the body. I took it to the point of damage and it would not shift.

This is off a pair of wheels I built for a friend and his one complaint is that the freehub bearings don't last long.

I don't think I'll use these Miche Syntium DX hubs again.

The freehub bearings are 6803 (17x26x5) compared to the 61901 (12x24x6) for the Miche Primato freehub so are substantially smaller section and maybe suffer more in wet conditions.
  • paulbnix said:

I've tried.

The inner bearing cannot be drifted out and the black top part of the freehub seems to be firmly attached to the body. I took it to the point of damage and it would not shift.

This is off a pair of wheels I built for a friend and his one complaint is that the freehub bearings don't last long.

I don't think I'll use these Miche Syntium DX hubs again.

The freehub bearings are 6803 (17x26x5) compared to the 61901 (12x24x6) for the Miche Primato freehub so are substantially smaller section and maybe suffer more in wet conditions.

EMail Malcolm?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited November 2020
    It looks like a sleeve is pressed in from the drive side end, encasing the inner bearing. It is probably (annoyingly) permanently fitted at the factory.
    Is the inner bearing worn out? They often suffer less than the outer bearing. If not, I'd cover it with thick grease to protect from water ingress and just fit a new outer bearing.
  • paulbnix
    masjer said:

It looks like a sleeve is pressed in from the drive side end, encasing the inner bearing. It is probably (annoyingly) permanently fitted at the factory.
    Is the inner bearing worn out? They often suffer less than the outer bearing. If not, I'd cover it with thick grease to protect from water ingress and just fit a new outer bearing.

There is no evidence of an inner sleeve from the drive side but I think its black piece containing the pawls that has been pressed in.

Unfortunately it's the inner bearing that has gone. The outer is fine and smooth.
    I've had the same happen on a Miche Primato freehub but in that case replacing the inner bearing is fairly easy.