Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

sunday tout institution qui ne suppose pas le peuple bon et le magistrat corruptible est vicieuse

'ning

milder but looks like it'll be cloudy, maybe soggy

long ride, long coffee, long laze
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Posts

  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,466
    Morning All. Last day on shift this set and wimped out and going in car. It's a proper peasouper out and still sore from Monday's otb,s / off. Definitely milder as no scraping screen today.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, peasouper, milder though, out on the bike once this fog lifts, I might watch the precession into Madrid later
    Have a good day
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 6,180
    Foggy here too, hopefully it will lift and we'll have another beautiful day.
    Aching after yesterday's contortionism so not expecting to do much today.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,617
    Remembrance Sunday which normally follows my birthday party and normally fun watching people look really emotional / hungover. But neither is happening this year 😢

    Back still knackered
  • Cracking day, especially since no shovelling was involved. Walked dog as usual, then out to lunch at another local vineyard which was pretty decent. Home for a late afternoon snooze in the sunshine.

    Roast chook and veg for Sunday dinner. Perfect.

    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Seven 622SL Kestrel RT1000 On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 25,291 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being had. The joys of furniture assembly and moving today. Might pedal over to see the old dear at some point. Into the office for a rest tomorrow.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,357
    Drizzly, smurry, dreich and exceptionally dull.
    That's the weather, not Der Trumfen's face.

    Bit sore too after yesterdays pedal.
    Average cadence 94.

    I think it would be better for me to swap out the 36 c'ring for a 38, reduce the cadence and up the ave. speed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,357
    'Procession' shurely ld?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 9,936
    Wasn't there a poster on here a while back who advocated the slower the cadence the longer the distance covered, or some variation on either, both or other? 🤔

    Planned short pootle with Daughter #1, get her outside for some exercise after she's been nursing a sore throat (not that thing), may / may not happen, forecast changed so have rain coming in next hour. Push ride back 'til afternoon, see what turns out. Will def be a zero mud route after yesterday's plooterin'. New tyres research continues.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 6,180
    orraloon said:

    Wasn't there a poster on here a while back who advocated the slower the cadence the longer the distance covered, or some variation on either, both or other? 🤔

    I think it totally depends on the rider: 80 is fast for me and over 85 is a struggle, but some people seem happy at 90+ the whole time.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 9,936
    Wasn't being entirely serious. 😊 Was a throwback to Milemuncher or whichever acct it was.

    Fully agree though. Get in the cadence zone that you are comfortable in and enjoy life.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,357
    I'm not sure I can say i'm 'happy' at 90+ on the road.

    I do it on the rollers easy but that's usually on the big c'ring and there's more momentum.
    I have mucked around with gearing and cadence on the rollers and have found that dropping to below 90 means a speed increase of up to 2 mph.
    The thing is, i'm probably conditioning myself to pedal at that speed at the expense of burning too much energy.
    Tuesday I averaged 23.5mph on the rollers at an ave. cadence of 86 for 40 miles.
    Seems an optimum cadence.
    Flat ride ave. cadence for me is 87, hilly 82, rollers 92.

    There's a number of really low cadence plonkers here locally. They're fine on the flat but as soon as there's an incline, they go backwards. Love screaming past them uphill - especially De rosa bloke. He's got that smug look on his face. I have to absolutely make doubly sure I pass him like a TGV uphill.
    He's too big and quick to pass on the flat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 49,370
    tlw1 said:

    Remembrance Sunday which normally follows my birthday party and normally fun watching people look really emotional / hungover. But neither is happening this year 😢

    Back still knackered

    Happy birthday anyway Mr. H.

    Traditional lie in, dogs walked out in the country. Now making up for coffee deficiency before rustling up a bit of lunch. Adminny stuff later.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,617
    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Remembrance Sunday which normally follows my birthday party and normally fun watching people look really emotional / hungover. But neither is happening this year 😢

    Back still knackered

    Happy birthday anyway Mr. H.
    Cheers, it’s tomorrow, so cheap bacon sandwich and cake run for everyone in my office
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 49,370
    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Remembrance Sunday which normally follows my birthday party and normally fun watching people look really emotional / hungover. But neither is happening this year 😢

    Back still knackered

    Happy birthday anyway Mr. H.
    Cheers, it’s tomorrow, so cheap bacon sandwich and cake run for everyone in my office
    Will there be anyone else in the office? :p
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,617
    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    tlw1 said:

    Remembrance Sunday which normally follows my birthday party and normally fun watching people look really emotional / hungover. But neither is happening this year 😢

    Back still knackered

    Happy birthday anyway Mr. H.
    Cheers, it’s tomorrow, so cheap bacon sandwich and cake run for everyone in my office
    Will there be anyone else in the office? :p
    The hounds
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,129
    pinno said:


    Tuesday I averaged 23.5mph on the rollers at an ave. cadence of 86 for 40 miles.
    Seems an optimum cadence.
    Flat ride ave. cadence for me is 87, hilly 82, rollers 92.

    Can you do that on the road? Keep 38 kph for over an hour and a half? If so, remind me not to offer you a race!

    Surely cadence is cadence, and the gear ratio and your fitness/physiology dictates your speed, at least until the gradient gets >10% for any length of time. Or do you mean if you drop your cadence to 85 from 95, your physiology can push a suffiently taller gear that your speed increases while fatigue does not?

    I'm always around 95. Unless steep for a long time, then I drop to approx 65-70, and feel like I'm going to die/fall off, wish I had a 30 or 32 tooth cog to change into.

    Went for a short flat ride. Walked the dog. Now chores.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 6,180
    orraloon said:

    Wasn't being entirely serious. 😊 Was a throwback to Milemuncher or whichever acct it was.

    Fully agree though. Get in the cadence zone that you are comfortable in and enjoy life.

    It gets pretty annoying on Zwift though when it tells you to do a comfortable cadence then shouts at you because you're doing less than 95 :neutral:
  • A peaceful day pretending to do some work, but mostly bathing in the previous days accomplishments of:
    Borrowing the neighbours ladder and being told I can keep it as they are clearing out.
    Replacing the Aerial down feed and mast-head amp so wifey can record crape off the telly and watch more crape around the house.
    Taking the lad to play in the park with zombie hordes of other random kids.
    Will reward myself with crumpets for tea.
  • Ayup!
    A weekend of playing Postman Pat to the population at large.
    Chauffeuring duties begin in just over an hour.
    Pffft....Again!
    Haven't got a clue how far, or at what cadence I've cycled this weekend, but the body aches, so it's been a good workout.
    Thank god for leccy assist. Not sure I'd want to be out pushing 150kg+ of parcels without.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,357
    hopkinb said:


    Can you do that on the road? Keep 38 kph for over an hour and a half? If so, remind me not to offer you a race!

    No, not a chance.
    I am < 63kg's. Terrible power to drag ratio.
    Rode piano piano on the road yesterday for just over 2 hrs @ an ave. 14.5 mph. Flatish ride, ave. cadence 86. I can't do much more than that for an average anyway.
    Hit an incline of about 500m length, roughly 12% and some square pedalling bloke was half way up. It's a rough single track. Decided to catch square pedalling bloke and I hit 20mph when I did.
    (Respectable power to drag ratio for a feeble bloke).
    hopkinb said:

    Surely cadence is cadence, and the gear ratio and your fitness/physiology dictates your speed, at least until the gradient gets >10% for any length of time. Or do you mean if you drop your cadence to 85 from 95, your physiology can push a suffiently taller gear that your speed increases while fatigue does not?

    That latter - bold, exactly.

    My right leg weakened slowly prior to hip replacement #4. So was riding a compact 34/50 to keep me going until I couldn't.
    Recovering and now 19 months post op, getting stronger.

    Getting gradually stronger has meant that my 34 inner ring is now far too small. I never did climb at a particularly high cadence. I cannot sit and spin Froome style @ silly cadence, preferring some resistance in the gear at a lower (75-80) cadence.

    You are big and could probably cruise for a long time at 18mph on the flat but can't go up a gradient particularly quickly.
    I'm the opposite.
    Physiology innit.

    Counted my inner, it is 34. ordered a 36. It's hilly around here so can't warrant a 38*. Hate flat rides anyway. Just do them for condition/souplesse.

    *You never know...

    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,129
    pinno said:



    You are big and could probably cruise for a long time at 18mph on the flat but can't go up a gradient particularly quickly.
    I'm the opposite.
    Physiology innit.

    I did a closed road imperial 100 in a.smidge over 5 hours last year. Average 1% so not hilly, but not flat. If only I trained and ate properly I might be mediocre

    I am surprisingly nimble uphill for a big lad, I did a hilly ride in Surrey with a mate and his club, they accused me of motor doping, because my bike frame has a beefy downtube, and my bodily frame is similarly proportioned. Unless.it gets properly steep or long, I'm OK uphill. Mind you, anyone with some actual talent leaves me for dead.

    Where i live, I wouldn't lose my 34 inner ring for quids, the cassettes with 30 teeth or above have hideous gaps in my favoured bigger ring ratio range for the flat stuff and I do actually use 34/25 and 34/28 a lot when I do head uphill.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Early Oct, rode to Brighton with a bunch of dads from school. One is pretty fit, runs a lot, has done an iron man, must be 20kg lighter than me. We were together at the bottom of Ditchling beacon, which is about 1,5 km at an average of 9%. I beat him up the hill by > 1 minute.

    Mind you, he rode back.to London...
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Anyway, what's good to hear is that you're regaining strength Pinno!
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 9,936
    Kidz eh! My roadie cassette has gone from biggest 32 to 34. Next year...36? And the 11 is pristine 😊

    Out earlier with Daughter #1 on her mtb, mostly tarmac and dryish gravel def no mudbaths, and she was complaining about spinning too fast on an uphill. Education in progress, you can learn stuff from an oldie. But there was me thinking, yeah maybe my future lies in mtb ratios...
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I do have an 11 tooth cog. It's mainly used for freewheeling downhill, or for tailwind assisted sprinting.
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 9,141
    hopkinb said:

    Early Oct, rode to Brighton with a bunch of dads from school. One is pretty fit, runs a lot, has done an iron man, must be 20kg lighter than me. We were together at the bottom of Ditchling beacon, which is about 1,5 km at an average of 9%. I beat him up the hill by > 1 minute.

    Mind you, he rode back.to London...

    I’m not that keen driving up Ditchling Beacon let alone cycling!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • The early mist burnt off and the sun came out so I’ve been out for a road ride today, just a couple of hours before my dinner. I went up a short hill onto the Wolds, about 8% max I think. I don’t have a cadence counter but maybe 50/60 at the most (a guestimate). I spent most of the time trying to pick the least muddy line on the little lanes. Though looking at my bike you’d of thought I’d been cyclo-crossing not road riding. My legs looked like I’d been for a blast along the beach. The usual 10 min wash for the bike took half an hour today. On the plus side I managed to stay upright and I did enjoy getting out into the countryside image
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,357
    hopkinb said:


    Mind you, he rode back.to London...

    Aaah, a more measured approach.

    Been up Ditchling Beacon many times - used to live in Eastbourne. It ain't what I would call a hard climb.
    Harder from Brighton up than from Ditchling - but I wouldn't go near it what with the traffic nowadays.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 6,180
    pinno said:

    hopkinb said:


    Mind you, he rode back.to London...

    Aaah, a more measured approach.

    Been up Ditchling Beacon many times - used to live in Eastbourne. It ain't what I would call a hard climb.
    Harder from Brighton up than from Ditchling - but I wouldn't go near it what with the traffic nowadays.
    Traffic is even worse on the BHF London-Brighton.
    I think I had to stop twice because so many people were in the way and stopping in front of me. Meant I got a few seconds rest to power up to the next compulsory dismount.
Sign In or Register to comment.