Name that rear hub!

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what my rear hub and freehub is, the rim is a Mach 1 '240' and the cassette is a HG400-9. There are no markings anywhere but this cryptic "a k j" on the freehub below. I'm trying to figure out what it is so I can order the right replacement freehub for it, anyone have any ideas? I've scoured the forum already to see if there was any easy/standard way of identifying them but couldn't find anything :(

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Have you tried cleaning the hub ? :D
    Most no name hubs always seem to end up being made by Formula.
    Merlin still sell mach rims on deore hubs which are pretty cheap so just need to decide if its worth the faff sourcing a free hub
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-mach-mtb-wheel-sale-26-54304.html
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2020
    As Mully79 says very likely a Formula hub. Pretty generic wheel that comes supplied with the average mountain bike.

I found a replacement freehub for a very similar hub. Before you could begin to find a suitable replacement you will be stripping down the whole inner workings first to gain access to the internal bolt that holds the freehub on. The bolt inside ranges between 10-12mm usually.

Mine was an 11mm bolt and wasn't that easy sourcing the correct Allen key to fit.

Once you get the freehub off you can see the connecting interface required which will give an idea of a similar suitable replacement to fit.

After going through this hassle and fitting a new one, (£15) rebuilding the hub, pre loading bearings, etc it didn't fix the problem I had so I bought a whole new rear wheel in the end.

Wish I'd just bought a new wheel in the first place, as a cheap replacement wheel can cost around £45. A pretty good sealed bearing hub wheel is only around £70 depending on size.

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    On the subject of removing freehubs and those weird sized bolts. Try using the square end of a 3/8 socket extension. ie the bit the socket normally goes on to.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    To loosen a friend's freehub that took an 11mm Allen key I got a long bolt with an 11mm head on it and locked a couple of nuts against each other at the end, then used that with a spanner on the end.
    Admittedly I have a lot of junk in my garage as it might be useful one day, that was one of those rare days.
  • Thank you all for the advice. I've decided to get a new wheel (one that I will know the make of hub and freehub this time around!) and then take apart the old one when my Allen key arrives. It seems like it's a case of figuring out the size of the bolt-hole(?) and then going from there? I think will eventually be able to figure out the freehub for it eventually and this advice has been very useful!
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    best place to get 11 and 12mm allen keys from is RS components, theyre about £3.50 and they sell high quality ones with a hex plus shape. First tool bargain ive had for years
  • I'll try the 10mm first see if that fits then get a bigger one if needed, I'm hoping it's just a standard size because everything else about it seems just run of the mill?