new (or used) road bike - rim/disc brakes?

razorjack
razorjack Posts: 98
edited November 2020 in Road buying advice
I want to upgrade my ride (currently Allez on Claris, i want upgrade to 105 11s).
I was thinking about new bike (or 1-2y used) - for about 1500 eur. I can see that bikes with disc brakes (105) are about 500 eur more expensive and 500g heavier...
I live in a dry place - Spain, i can avoid rides in damp/wet conditions.

Is it worth taking disc brakes? (i can easier upgrade wheels to something lighter later (like asian carbon :) ), but will i do that?). I know frame with these brakes would be future proof, but in case of used bike, i could just sell it in a year anyway....
What about upgrading wheels for rim brakes, can i easily find something cheap weighting 1500-1600g ? does it makes sense (asian carbon <400g) ? as probably wheels are the heaviest component (about 1900g in this price range bikes)

i weight 71kg

Comments

• If it's dry / flat and you are reasonably light then personally I wouldn't bother.

The fact you are used to rim brakes (fairly poor ones, too) means it doesn't seem like you have a need to...
  • Also re: wheels, what do you mean by cheap? I swear by campag zondas which you can get for around £300 if you shop around or £250 used with tyres in v good condition.
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 98
    edited November 2020
    if i upgrade wheels, i don't want to pay more than 300-400e/£ (as i spend most money on enduro/dh :) )
    i thought about some cheap carbon from Asia (so i can feel the difference from my stock wheels). but can i use it with rim brakes? i know, there are carbon rims for rim brakes too (special surface and i have to use special brake pads) but i heard that braking performance is even more lacking....
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    I guess if you have Claris brakes then perhaps.

If you can upgrade the brake calipers to Shimano 5800 or R7000 (the 105 equivalent) you may find a considerable improvement in stopping power

Using Swiss Stop Blue pads on alu rims, you'll see improvements again

Carbon wheels do have relatively worse braking comapred to aluminium rims but if you are riding in the dry and or flat, you shouldn't really have issues. I certainly haven't, even with oldfashioned, untreated carbon rims in the wet.

I use the cheap (£5) lifeline brake pads for carbon rims from wiggle and they're great.
  • Rim brakes are completely adequate. Once you go hydraulic you won't go back.
  • I've used hydraulic brakes and yes there were incredible but for my use, not necessary.
  • i don't want to change anything on my current bike. that's why i'm thinking about full upgrade (like to Canyon Endurance SL 7.0 https://www.canyon.com/en-es/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-7.0/2508.html new or used)
    so Endurance SL 7.0 with rim brakes or Endurace AL Disc 7.0
    and if i find used one (or with a time) i can upgrade wheels as well.