Winter Tyres - GP5000, Continental 4 Seasons or Other make?

Hi,

I currently have continental ultra sport (not II version) and with lockdown I will be looking to ride outdoor more - not confident that current tyres will be good in the wet and looking at putting some better tyres on the bike.

Looking at GP5000 or Continental 4 seasons, also open to other suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    GP5000 without a doubt. Grip really well on wet roads, unlike 4 seasons which I tried once and never again!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    edited November 2020
    Big fan of 4 seasons (did not find them slippy at all) but the GP4000/5000 are great

My advice would be never skimp on tyres and never skimp on grip.

A puncture is always preferable to falling off.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    i'm on GP5000's for most of the year but have been on the cheapo planet x Jack brown race tyres, just to try them out. they aren't as quick but are way more grippy and puncture proof and light for what they do. cornering grip and mechanical grip whilst braking is way better than the faster tyres. they are clincher only though.

if you want even more puncture proof tyres the mile munchers are decent. (jack browns are effectively panaracer tyres). the mile munchers are sub 280gram winter tyres for me. they have improved puncture protection over most tyres i've ridden.

have used 4 seasons before, they roll well and are grippy, but aren't cheap. these are £14.99 a tyre....
  • The best winter tyres I have used are Durano plus. I also like the Rubino G+
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres are well worth a look. Pretty grippy and I never managed to puncture them, used throughout winter on some shocking road surfaces and light gravel.

I'm currently running GP4 Seasons on my winter bike. I would agree they are less grippy than GP4000s and probably no better than the Specialized, although they are a bit lighter.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    edited November 2020

The best winter tyres I have used are Durano plus. I also like the Rubino G+

Durano plus for me here too, though they do roll slow.

Unscientific research showed that two identical routes, a couple of weeks apart, one on an aero bike with GP5000's and one on my alloy Synapse (With mudguards) with Durano pluses, was 10% slower.
    My fitness level would have been pretty much identical, and I don't recall conditions being that much different - however I did not have power on both bikes, so this is anecdotal at best, but just my personal experience and stats.

I'm surprised people are suggesting 4000s and 5000s would make good winter tyres - they are stunningly good tyres imho, but for me I'll be keeping them for the times when the roads are less covered in cr@p, and round my neck of the woods, flint proliferates, and is particularly unkind to tyres.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    daniel_b said:

Durano plus for me here too, though they do roll slow.

Unscientific research showed that two identical routes, a couple of weeks apart, one on an aero bike with GP5000's and one on my alloy Synapse (With mudguards) with Durano pluses, was 10% slower.
    My fitness level would have been pretty much identical, and I don't recall conditions being that much different - however I did not have power on both bikes, so this is anecdotal at best, but just my personal experience and stats.

I'm surprised people are suggesting 4000s and 5000s would make good winter tyres - they are stunningly good tyres imho, but for me I'll be keeping them for the times when the roads are less covered in cr@p, and round my neck of the woods, flint proliferates, and is particularly unkind to tyres.
    Yes ymmv depending on where you live
  • Never tried my "28mm" (really ~32mm) GP4000S IIs on a rare winter road bike ride, wouldn't dream of trying my 23mm or 25mm (really ~24/26mm) GP5000s because I'd want a wider contact patch.

28mm (really ~29mm) 4 Seasons have worked well for me, as have 28mm Rubino Pro G+ Isotechs, both a bit more draggy but very sure footed and yet to let me experience the fun of fixing a puncture in freezing conditions.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If you’re on 28s I really rate panaracer gravelkings. They have a slight tread on them but roll really well, nice and grippy even on really awful country lanes when the field contents is washing out.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited November 2020
    philbar72 said:

i'm on GP5000's for most of the year but have been on the cheapo planet x Jack brown race tyres, just to try them out. they aren't as quick but are way more grippy and puncture proof and light for what they do. cornering grip and mechanical grip whilst braking is way better than the faster tyres. they are clincher only though.

if you want even more puncture proof tyres the mile munchers are decent. (jack browns are effectively panaracer tyres). the mile munchers are sub 280gram winter tyres for me. they have improved puncture protection over most tyres i've ridden.

have used 4 seasons before, they roll well and are grippy, but aren't cheap. these are £14.99 a tyre....

I'm commuting and touring on the 30mm Mile munchers and have been very impressed with them considering they cost £15 each. No visits yet from the puncture fairy, no signs of wear despite doing a few thousand km's on them and lots of grip even in the pouring rain.

They're noticeably slower than GP5000's but that's not a big concern when touring or commuting.

I've used Gravelkings in the past and was constantly getting punctures with them, that's back up by Bicycle Rolling Resistance who tested them and found their puncture protection to be lacking.
  • I used to ride GP4000s all year round with very few issues.

Switched to Durano plus which were great on my commuter.

Now riding Schwalbe Pro if its sunny and GP4000 II if it's not.

Maybe I am lucky but I have never had puncture issues worth mentioning, regardless of where I have ridden.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

THIS^, The pluses ride isn`t the best but very puncture proof, Im using Rubino Control for the past 2 winters, tough, grippy and fairly cheap.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

I've just thrown a pair out that I got for last winter. Apparently they don't store very well and were cracked beyond what I'd call safe. Didn't sit very evenly either for some reason. Not overly impressed. YMMV.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I swapped out my Durano's for Michelin Power All Season tyres which I like. No issues with punctures or anything with Duranos, but descents in Lancashire are typically steep, twisty and wet. Grip on Durano's let me down a couple of times so lost confidence in them. Before them I also had Conti 4seasons which were impressive too. Gatorskins take a lot of stick on here, but I found them fine when I used them on a fairly non-technical flat city commute.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    craigus89 said:

If you’re on 28s I really rate panaracer gravelkings. They have a slight tread on them but roll really well, nice and grippy even on really awful country lanes when the field contents is washing out.

I've got a set of 26mm (which can seem wider) SK version - ideal for muddy/gravel strewn country lanes.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Durano plus for me every time . Of course they are not as fast as a race tyre but on the other had you will never have to change an inner tube when the temp is -3. Lol.
    Also no way is it 10% slower than a race tyre . All the scientific tests show difference between the very best and the very worst tyres speed wise is very very small .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    andyrac said:

craigus89 said:

If you’re on 28s I really rate panaracer gravelkings. They have a slight tread on them but roll really well, nice and grippy even on really awful country lanes when the field contents is washing out.

I've got a set of 26mm (which can seem wider) SK version - ideal for muddy/gravel strewn country lanes.
    Me too. They fit under my mudguards and aren't much slower than a slick tyre.

I've also heard that they are more puncture-resistant than the non-SK version.

The only problem is that I haven't been able to find them for sale, should I wish to replace them.