Zed carbon wheels

Hi,
I am looking at Zed carbon wheels to replace my Roval SLX24 wheels on my Specialized Roubaix. Anyone have any experience of Zed wheels and any comments on improvements over the Rovals?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    never heard of them, can you post a link to your website?
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    They are good wheels, I’ve been running a pair for two years now no problems at all, plenty of rims And hubs to choose,
    I cannot compare them to rovals as I’ve never had any,
  • He's big in the Hill Climb circuit, sponsoring some of the big names. He uses some ridiculously light components to build sub kg wheelsets. For the very light wheels he uses carbon as well as polythene spokes, but if you want everyday wheels I am sure he uses steel spokes too
    left the forum March 2023
  • I wouldn't hesitate to buy a another pair. I can't comment on how they perform etc with respect to your Rovals, but I can say I love my Zed's. Lee is a true gent to deal with, and we conversed quite alot to decide on the wheelset that was right for me. As Ugo said, he's very well known on the HC scene, and quite a few of the top riders use his wheels. I promised myself I'd only race on mine, but I've now done 2,5000km on them this summer because I just love riding them. I have 38mm clinchers which come in at 1200g, and they feel very very stiff. In terms of being 'robust' and well built, the Zed's (despite being lightweight) are certainly equal in that respect to my older Dura Ace C35's which I always rated highly.
  • thanks for the comments, looks like I am treating myself to early xmas gift
  • Hey, how did you get on with your purchase of Zeds?

I decided to try Zed Wheels after reading some online reviews and liking the idea of trying something new. Went for the top spec 50m versions with Berd Spokes.

Unfortunately they were not true at all when arrived and had way too much flex in them.

Zed Bike wheels then went from being the friendliest outfit to deal with to being really difficult. Hard to get a hold of and refusing to hear of any fault despite confirmation being provided by very reputable bike shop.

Wheels were sent back. Zed denied any fault and sent them back. Bike shop again confirmed that same faults were there and said they were unsafe to ride.

Almost a 8 months later and nothing has been resolved. All kinds of silliness and still £1,500 out of pocket. Currently taking legal action.

I was excited to try a boutique UK wheel firm but in hind sight wish I had just stuck to one of the big brands with better customer service and more accountable approach. Lesson learned.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    veitchy96 said:

Hey, how did you get on with your purchase of Zeds?

I decided to try Zed Wheels after reading some online reviews and liking the idea of trying something new. Went for the top spec 50m versions with Berd Spokes.

Unfortunately they were not true at all when arrived and had way too much flex in them.

Zed Bike wheels then went from being the friendliest outfit to deal with to being really difficult. Hard to get a hold of and refusing to hear of any fault despite confirmation being provided by very reputable bike shop.

Wheels were sent back. Zed denied any fault and sent them back. Bike shop again confirmed that same faults were there and said they were unsafe to ride.

Almost a 8 months later and nothing has been resolved. All kinds of silliness and still £1,500 out of pocket. Currently taking legal action.

I was excited to try a boutique UK wheel firm but in hind sight wish I had just stuck to one of the big brands with better customer service and more accountable approach. Lesson learned.

This is a little worrying, I bought a pair a month ago may be more, apparently should be dispatched in 5 days. I've heard nothing. Honestly I'm tempted to tell them to keep, your the second person to mention a set out of true on arrival and Zed being less than helpful. I went for the 50s rim on sale at £639.
  • Yeh mine were two months late when I got mine - While it was annoying I didn't complain about this and I suspected they were having some difficulties as a small company and didn't want to make a fuss. I didn't get any updates and there was no apology about being late. At one point Lee eventually replied and said "with you soon - Just as well they are worth the wait".

However all the stuff that followed afterwards when they did eventually arrive was seriously poor.

Still on-going and still no refund despite wheels being confirmed faulty and then Zeds courier actually losing the wheels over 2.5 months ago when being returned.

Good luck with yours