Wahoo Kickr Core - Chain Rub

I have just attempted to setup my Cannondale CX on my Wahoo Kickr Core for the first time and initially tried to get it to work on a 130mm adapter. The frame would not sit flush so turned the provided adapter to 135mm and sat first time round.

Next I tried to pedal and on the front derailleur there is chain run and on the cassette there is chain rub noise and vibration in the lower gears.

The cassette is a new Shimano 105 11/32 11s cassette which is identical to my rear wheels and the bike was recently serviced with no reported issues with the chain and derailleurs.

I assume indexing is required for the rear derailleur but should I really have to re-index/reposition the front derailleur as well?

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Indexing tweaking is totally normal. Due to tolerances of your wheel hub, cassette, trainer hub, trainer cassette is quite likely that the positions of the cassettes on your wheel and trainer are in slightly different positions relative to your bike frame. A little tweak of the tension is all that should be needed.
  • I'm having a similar issue. I also have a Kickr Core and put put a Giant Revolt gravel bike on it. The bike is new, only about 100 km on it before putting it on the trainer. I have a separate cassette on the trainer, brand new, identical to the cassette on the wheel.

First ride on the trainer felt like a lot of grinding in almost all gears, but more noticeable in the big ring. I went through the indexing, cable tension seems fine because there's no lag in the shifting, and I did a quick degrease / lube with Finish Line's 1-step product. The next ride was better, but still getting some grinding in the higher and lower gears, and still more noticeable in the big ring. It almost feels like the grinding is coming from the chain ring, not the cassette.

I've read that a new cassette with a used chain will grind a bit, but the chain only had 100 km on it. I also saw someone with a similar problem say increasing the amount of lube helped.

I'm going to give it a few more rides on the trainer, making sure the chain is well lubed, to see if it works itself out. Last winter I had my road bike on it and I don't recall this much friction, but perhaps I'm misremembering. Just seems like it should be smoother than this.

Since I'm new to gravel bikes, is it possible the drivetrain is just a bit more noisy than a road bike? I have a GRX rear derailleur and the crankset is FSA Omega Adventure. It's possible this grinding / rougher pedaling was there when riding outdoors but I just didn't notice because of the noise and rough terrain from gravel riding.