Help me update my winter wardrobe

My winter wardrobe is pretty dated so hoping for the forums collective wisdom.

Top half: Have a 6 year old gabba that has seen better days. Usually pair with nanoflex armwarmers and a craft active extreme SS base layer. Doesnt wick very well. For really cold days i have a dhb full protection softshell that is a little too small/hot and i dont think breathable. For a shell I have a C5 shakedry and a cheap poorly fitting gilet - do i get a new gabba/perfetto or look at other thermal jersey options and a better gilet to cover a wider temp range? Base layer can be refreshed too and gloves will not be long for this world

Bottom I think i need some new bib tights. Have some Sorpasso's that are old and tight on my knees so a good do it all bib tight recommendation would be appreciated

Suggestions welcome, budget not a massive issue for the right kit. Thanks

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Merino base layer, warm when wet and last years.

Gabba sounds functional so leave alone, shakedry sorted.

So I’d opt for a wind proof gilet as they are flexible and cover a range of conditions. Up to you if you go waterproof too.

Definitely sort your hands and feet so they’re warm if not dry as they can break a ride.

If money is tight just get some DHB bottoms to go over your summer shorts or a pair of endurance bib tights if you feel the need or simply a pair of knee warmers. Cheap, effective and flexible.

As for brands, DHB, endure and Altura all offer similarly priced kit which is functional. EBay sometimes is a source for bargains and may make your money go further.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Get yersen down to Ikea, they do some lovely wardrobes in all manners of styles.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Your shake dry keeps you dry. What you are looking for are things to keep you warm. Think layers for a variety of temperatures, longs, overshoes and gloves. Oh, and a hat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    https://www.freewheel.co.uk/promo/madison-clothing-roadrace

ROADRACE30 gets 30% off the gear in the link (madison) the apex winter jacket is excellent..free delivery over £30..free returns too
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free