saturday is drifting away

2»

Comments

• Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Fair enough Stevo.

I have no idea what a consultant earns, well I sort of do now, but didn't until you posted that up.

Tbh, I've never seen her payslips, but I trust her 100%. What she earns is hers and what I earn is mine, it makes life so much easier.

It's all too simple to fall into the habit of exaggerating one's own self worth behind the anonyminity of a keyboard, online. I've seen others do it on a football forum I post on too, but b*llsh*tting isn't my thing, or the OH's for that matter, although I'm happy to exaggerate to get a point across, occassionally.

By all means be sceptical, but do remember that some people do live more colourful lives than others. I've certainly been around the block a few times and done all manner of weird and wonderful jobs. I think it's one of the main reasons my relationship blossomed with the OH. Without meaning to sound like I'm bragging, what brought us together is that I am different to the normal blokes she'd dated in the past.

Anyway, no offence was taken, but I'll always defend me and mine vehemently. I really couldn't care less what others think about me, but there's got to be better places to big oneself up than a forum dedicated to cycling.

As for the early start, it was more of a late finish. Didn't get much in the way of sleep last night, got a lot running through my head right now. For some reason I'm thinking about a change in direction, away from the long hours and feelings of Groundhog Day, before it's too late to do something new.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Cargobike said:

Fair enough Stevo.

I have no idea what a consultant earns, well I sort of do now, but didn't until you posted that up.

Tbh, I've never seen her payslips, but I trust her 100%. What she earns is hers and what I earn is mine, it makes life so much easier.

It's all too simple to fall into the habit of exaggerating one's own self worth behind the anonyminity of a keyboard, online. I've seen others do it on a football forum I post on too, but b*llsh*tting isn't my thing, or the OH's for that matter, although I'm happy to exaggerate to get a point across, occassionally.

By all means be sceptical, but do remember that some people do live more colourful lives than others. I've certainly been around the block a few times and done all manner of weird and wonderful jobs. I think it's one of the main reasons my relationship blossomed with the OH. Without meaning to sound like I'm bragging, what brought us together is that I am different to the normal blokes she'd dated in the past.

Anyway, no offence was taken, but I'll always defend me and mine vehemently. I really couldn't care less what others think about me, but there's got to be better places to big oneself up than a forum dedicated to cycling.

As for the early start, it was more of a late finish. Didn't get much in the way of sleep last night, got a lot running through my head right now. For some reason I'm thinking about a change in direction, away from the long hours and feelings of Groundhog Day, before it's too late to do something new.

Fair play to you CB, you've gone to a fair bit of trouble to explain where you're coming from. Carry on...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    oxoman said:

CB, cant you delegate and pass the baton to an underling and look at something different. I try to Ignore the personal stuff as much as possible.

Of course I could, but in my eyes I'd be ducking my responsibilities and putting them into a position they wouldn't like to be in either. We're a low hierarchical business, pay the shop floor workers well, but give them responsibility to make their own decisions on a daily basis, with a minimal support structure above. Ultimately, the buck stops with me, so it's my job to be the bringer of bad news.

I've closed down our Birmingham depot yesterday (Tuesday) immediately, last day of business will be this Friday. It wasn't making enough profit to justify keeping it open, barely making profit tbh, especially with a second wave of C-19 imminent and changes from the end of the month with furlough should it be needed. So that's all the big cities gone in four weeks, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and now Birmingham. This is in an industry that's growing significantly during the pandemic, but city centre work is falling off a cliff as more people WFH.

For the long-term sake of the business something had to give while we pivot into the new opportunities that are available, so it's back to my core East Midlands work where I'm not renting premises at eye watering amounts and all the other associated costs.

So yes I could delegate, but that's not fair, so you do it yourself and submit to the anxieties that come with the decisions

It hurts massively and I take it very personally.

Tomorrow is another day.