The clocks are changing. Any advice for a potential first time night rider?

2»

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    I use Exposure at the front, great lights. Rear is generally a static and a flashing. Helmet mount light is good as your light is above the traffic and can be seen easier by pedestrians. If riding through town I slow down when the traffic is queued as that's when the pedestrians make a run for it
  • I have never done my regular 2 hours at night.
    I'd like to hear from folk that do.

I have some decent rechargeable "be seen" lights.

Just the obvious, Lights both to see with and to be seen probably two back and front one flashing and one not.
    . Reflective clothing not necessarily high viz is a must and try and stick to well lit roads . And probably be more aware than usual daytime conditions due to the dark
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I have never done my regular 2 hours at night.

Just the obvious, Lights both to see with and to be seen probably two back and front one flashing and one not.
    . Reflective clothing not necessarily high viz is a must and try and stick to well lit roads . And probably be more aware than usual daytime conditions due to the dark
    Why well lit roads, you are more likely to be seen on an unlit road. You are probably likely to seen from further away at night than during the day on some country roads with the right lights.
  • webboo said:

I have never done my regular 2 hours at night.

Why well lit roads, you are more likely to be seen on an unlit road. You are probably likely to seen from further away at night than during the day on some country roads with the right lights.
    Agreed. I'd also add that a well lit road is probably going to be more busy, such as an A road.
    With all the different sources of light about it's easy for a cyclist to get lost, even if they've got all the right kit.