Strava Mileage Stats

I hit over 100,000km on Strava which doesn't include my Swift mileage which I don't upload to Strava, I've seen other riders who were miles behind me over the last 2-3 years suddenly exceed my mileage, so all the huge mileage you see on Strava is not really mostly raw roadie miles out on the road but sitting in the garage sweating, just wrong IMO. Should have separate queues on Strava for road and Swift, means on winter rainy days I look out the window with a smile and ride others not and don't do the hard graft!.......comments.

Comments

• Sort of agree as I never ride indoors, but indoor riding can often be much harder / structured / beneficial to fitness Vs outdoor.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Other opinions are available.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    canoas said:

I hit over 100,000km on Strava which doesn't include my Swift mileage which I don't upload to Strava, I've seen other riders who were miles behind me over the last 2-3 years suddenly exceed my mileage, so all the huge mileage you see on Strava is not really mostly raw roadie miles out on the road but sitting in the garage sweating, just wrong IMO. Should have separate queues on Strava for road and Swift, means on winter rainy days I look out the window with a smile and ride others not and don't do the hard graft!.......comments.

If you signed up to Veloviewer for the bargain price of £10.00 per year you can split your rides easily between indoor and outdoor, so no reason whatsoever to not upload both to Strava.

And what exactly is wrong with working out on Zwift (or any other indoor platform)?
    But then you are trying to provoke a response........

And it's ZWIFT by the way.
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    Working out of Zwift is good and very hard. But I think Strava should have 2 queues for mileage it's a misrepresentation. Isn't the reason we buy bikes is to get outside, therefore Strava represents outdoor activities where you can follow other routes. There's no rain inside, no sun rays inside, no vegetation inside, no other riders inside, no hazards inside, no wind inside, no potholes inside, no road surface inside, no bike handling skills inside. Why can't Strava view this?
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    Tashman said:

Why does it matter to you what others do? It has no impact on your life.

It doesn't mean anything, there are no trophies. But still I think they should fix the way they display mileage.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I really couldn't care less. There are many other things I wish Strava would fix that would be of a higher priority for me.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2020
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Tashman said:

This
  • pblakeney
    canoas said:

Tashman said:

It doesn't mean anything, there are no trophies. But still I think they should fix the way they display mileage.
    If you don't use a turbo then it would make zero difference to you if they did.
    So you only want to affect others. That's nice.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Couldn't care less what others do in all honesty but it would be handy if Strava did have an indoor / outdoor total rather than me having to keep track throughout the year.

Whole other debate obviously but don't really get the negativity towards Zwift / indoor riding.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Strava is so broken if you want to compare to others, I lost a KOM to a guy doing 260kmph recently. Also the guys who 'win' the challeges doing non stop rides to break it at 35kmph who are clearly cheating.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2020
    ibr17xvii said:

Couldn't care less what others do in all honesty but it would be handy if Strava did have an indoor / outdoor total rather than me having to keep track throughout the year.

Whole other debate obviously but don't really get the negativity towards Zwift / indoor riding.

I have my Strava set up to show individual stats for my 2 bikes. I could easily add a third for Tacx, if I wanted to. As usual, it is easier for the OP to moan than find a solution.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Dorset_Boy
    ibr17xvii said:

As I said earlier, spend £10 pa on Veloviewer.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    edited October 2020
    pblakeney said:

ibr17xvii said:

I have my Strava set up to show individual stats for my 2 bikes. I could easily add a third for Tacx, if I wanted to. As usual, it is easier for the OP to moan than find a solution.

So do I & then I work out my outside miles / elevation at the end of the year against my indoor miles.

ibr17xvii said:

As I said earlier, spend £10 pa on Veloviewer.

I'll have a look at that cheers.

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    50x11 said:

Strava is so broken if you want to compare to others, I lost a KOM to a guy doing 260kmph recently. Also the guys who 'win' the challeges doing non stop rides to break it at 35kmph who are clearly cheating.

You can report rides that feature impossible/dubious numbers.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    people still use Strava?
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2020

people still use Strava?

There will always be attention seekers.
  • pblakeney
    joe2019 said:

people still use Strava?

How do you define those that use it but keep the rides private?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2019
    pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

people still use Strava?

Introverts

• pblakeney
    joe2019 said:

pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

people still use Strava?

Introverts

Good to know. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2019
    :)
    pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

pblakeney said:

joe2019 said:

people still use Strava?

Introverts

Good to know. 😉
    :)

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited November 2020
    I have Veloviewer too... much better for looking at real stats.

I do both. I've always done a decent amount of turbo training and I like it to show in my stats in some way. Previously Zwift miles didn't hit your Strava challenges, if you cared about such things. Now they do, since lockdown. Reasonable really IMO. Apparently there will be Festive 500 on Zwift as well this year, which really defeats the purpose for of Festive 500 for me - assuming they don't separate it.

You could just look at hours on the bike... hours on the turbo are much more efficient so should balance out. If you feel than much need to compare!
  • Can someone talk me through Veloviewer?
    I've had a look at the free version but an totally confused by what I see.
    Lots of info, but how do I use it, or will that only become apparent if I pay £10?
    Frank Yates
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146

Apparently there will be Festive 500 on Zwift as well this year, which really defeats the purpose for of Festive 500 for me - assuming they don't separate it.

Getting rid of the cloth badge removes all motivation to go out on the shite roads in shite weather and get run over by old ladies and swap a day of riding for a trip to A&E... :wink:

I like the idea of a Zwift festive 500 but agree it should be separate, and maybe run the Zwift one over the whole of December so people can do both the indoor and outdoor ones.
  • Dorset_Boy
    @topsey_turvey Hopefully this will be a start for the homepage (Your Summary) -
    Years – allows you to filter by all years or just show one year’s data
    Types – Select activity types to display. This is how you easily split indoor and outdoor rides
    Gear – allows you to filter by bike, so you could split road and off road if you use different bikes for example
    Veloviewer Score – your best 100 segments, a combined score for your percentile rating on those segments.
    Activity Stats – your longest rides etc
    Distance, Elevation & Time Awards – a star for each ride that meets the criteria up to 3 stars
    Left Linear Graph – you can track your progression over the current year against previous years for all manner of criteria
    Right Graph – I have this set for days and each square represents a day in the year. The darker the colour, the longer the ride
    Full width Graph – I set this to month and shows your cumulative progression for that time period against all other time periods. You can set the data to show various metrics such as distance, time, elevation etc
    Segment Stats – shows how many KOMs, 2nd, 3rd etc places you have

Hopefully the rest of that page is self explanatory
    Wheel is a fun feature that shows where you have ridden on a map and you can set the date range and ride types for that and zoom in or out.
    For £10 per year there is a huge amount of data available.

I don't know if this link to my veloviewer page will work or not:
    https://veloviewer.com/athlete/564462/summary

• Wow. @Dorset_Boy
    Many thanks. There's a lot in there to digest. A quick look seems very interesting.
    Thank you.
    Frank Yates