Pinarello or Ridley Helium SLX?

2»

Comments

• But even so, I don't understand why the industry want to corner themselves... surely they want to sell you both... rather than one bike only.

I don't understand why the UCI don't lower the weight limit, so that you will buy a 5.5 kg bike for those pesky alpine climbs and a 7.5 kg disc brake aero bike for those other rides. Right now, buying more than one bike seems completely pointless, as you are just buying two copies of the same thing in different colours.

I just don't get it... throwing away one stream of revenue like that...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Lotto Soudal have moved over to disc, inc Tim Wellens. I realise rims are more romantic but ........still mechanical ....so still in the mind

If you listen to Adam Hansen's interview in the Life in the Peloton "Talking Luft", podcast, he still rates the rim-braked SLX as his favourite bike ever (simply from it being considerably lighter than the disc setup). They're basically forced to ride disc now. It's not that they all prefer to opt for disc....
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    This is a bit of a bargain for someone:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ridley-helium-slx-ultegra-road-bike-2020?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=104135781

Note that Ridley's "large" is most other manufacturers' XL.
  • Sure are. I'm 6' and on medium SLX.

The Helium 'X' Merlin were selling last week (Large), was even better- £1500 Ultegra build! Even though not my size, I'm regretting not buying it and probably making £500 selling it on LOL...
  • neeb
    Yup, I'm 5'9" and an S. You can pretty much exactly equate S to M, M to L etc. when comparing with other brands' sizing.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Which is the better bike:

Pinarello Dogma F12 rim
    Campagnolo Chorus 12 speed
    Campagnolo Zonda wheels

Or

Ridley Helium SLX rim
    Campagnolo Super Record 12 speed
    Carmagnola Shamal Ultra C17 wheels

the prices i have been quoted are about the same

"Which is the better bike?" Better at what? Being a bike?

• Here is my new Ridley - rides like a dream
  • with disc but no electrics
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Looks fantastic. Would have that any day over the week over a Pinarello.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    edited April 2021
    it's beautiful - enjoy Roger!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Not that I am a huge weight weenie, but kinda curious what it weighs. I really like Ridley, definitely an option as a future bike for me.
  • Discovered a split in my steerer tube cpl weeks back :(
  • neeb

Not that I am a huge weight weenie, but kinda curious what it weighs. I really like Ridley, definitely an option as a future bike for me.

Actual weight of my green-painted Helium SLX rim brake frame in size S (effectively M) was 777g (with just the rear derailleur hanger on it, no BB or other frame fittings). Uncut fork was 305g (278g cut). Quite easy to get the build down to around 6kg with some good component choices and light wheels.