Winter commute / base training

Hi,

My commute is a mere 23km, so currently I am doing 2hrs (Easy) on the turbo before jumping on my commuter bike to commute in.

This is twice a week with a hill / interval ride outdoors at the weekend.

My question is; am I undoing the zone 1/2 benefits of the morning if I ride harder on my evening commute back / will I benefit if I ride at an easy intensity for approx 1hr on the evening ride home?

Many thanks
Sam

Comments

• What is it you are aiming to achieve?
  • Increased endurance to be a stronger and faster cyclist next year
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480

If that's the case increase your base training in the week. Keep the intensity low as riding twice a day will help the adaptation as long as you recover and consume quality calories. If you need to drop some weight you have the ideal time to try some fasted rides and cap you calorie intake as a lighter rider will always be quicker up the hills with the same output as a heavier rider.

Are you using heart rate, power or perceived effort? Power is best, heart rate has a lag and can be impacted by external factors as caffeine stress, lack of sleep etc. Perceived effort was what/is the old timers use and it didn't do any harm then and still works but until you've got it dialled or some reference points as to how your different zones feel its a work in progress. You'll become a much more informed rider at the expense of lots of wasted hours in the saddle why you become more informed.

You may want to consider a more structured approach as its more complicated than base miles with intervals. You need to work on all aspect of your fitness which is where a structured approach brings substantial benefits.

Have you an event in mind? Bearing in mind these covid times everything is flexible so try and aim for smashing some local hill or loop records, both types address strength and endurance as long as you've got a minimum 20 minute loop you can ride flat out.

And its not just about physical strength, focus on build your mental strength which allows you to suffer more than your mates. Seriously this aspect is so overlooked.

Best wishes for your winter training.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Amazing answer, thank you slowmart. Yes, dropping some weight is an added goal and my thought is fasted long low intensity sessions for my morning turbo / commute.

Thanks for the nudge on more structure and an event... I’ll factor this into part two for the new year, but as a beginner I thought above as outlined would be a good start to build the base and drop some weight.

Currently using HR and keeping in zones but a power meter may well be the next purchase.

My thoughts on the mental aspect, was that dark cold wet riding solo would test my steel too 👊
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Cool, the only aspect I’d revisit is your decision to leave structure for the New Year. Aim to start earlier and lock in those gains for the new year. The only aspect you need to settle on is your fitness won’t advance as much without the structure and 2 months is a substantial part of the winter.

While the old saying is the hardest yards are from the bed to the shed remains true winter riding does harden you regarding crap weather, which in the UK is a aspect you need to overcome. However my comment was directed more towards your ability to suffer, to hang in the zone at different efforts which structured training on the turbo provide in spades. Look at a trial account with TrainerRoad and get a more informed insight as what aspects of fitness you need to work on over the winter to provide the platform to enjoy the summer riding more. On some workouts I swear time goes so slowly but it will help improve your breathing, pedal smoothness and ability to ekk out more effort which improves adaptation.

Winter miles , summer smiles sums up the reality. Fitness is a fickle mistress, use it or lose it which means a sustainable approach is key so you don’t burn out over the winter due to intensity and digging yourself a big hole pretty quickly as structured training is a substantial stress on your body.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    23km each way is more than enough to get very fit.

If you hit that hard in different ways you’ll be flying in no time.

For folk like us I wouldn’t worry too much about base miles - use the commute to get fit for nice enjoyable longer rides in the weekend.

I’d also suggest life is too short to spend 2hrs at a time on the turbo so maybe spend that time riding outside, if you’re dead keen to use that to cycle?

Commute is easily enough to be your base for any reasonable cycling.
  • I used to commute x3 per week, approximately 35k round trip. I'd generally just ride tempo in the morning but on the mainly uphill return leg home would try and be at 90% of max on at least 2 of the 3 rides. Weekends were for longer, steady rides, gradually increasing pace and distance as the weather improved.

No science involved really, just wanted to see gradual improvements and increased ability to suffer to make sure they happened.

I was fitter than I realised back then. I no longer bike commute (change of job 2 years ago) and I'm slower and hardly ever get Strava PB's anymore. :-(

Good luck.