Castelli Speed Suit SanRemo 4.0

Hey guys, how are you? i am new to the forum, i tried to search this gear on the forum but didn't found anything conclusive.
Does anyone out there owns or already used the Speed Suit SanRemo 4.0 from castelli?
I am thinking on buying one but im affraid that its not very comfortable (since it fits so tight?).
I read somewhere that on some previous versions people couldn't even stand straight with the older san remo speed suits... this is something i am not looking for.

i am no pro biker, however i ride around 3-4 times a week... around 300km a week.

thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ps. Any other speed suit advised would be nice. thanks

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    What are you planning to use it for?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I have a couple for summer riding. Perfectly comfortbale! Of course if you get a very small size it may not be.

Best thing is not having the jersey riding up or the pockets sagging and dragging the back down.. But it's also noticeably fast. At least as much aero gain as a set of deep section wheels vs. shallow.
  • Why do you want a skin suit? It's something you use to gain a handful of seconds in a time trial, otherwise it's completely pointless. Think about the hassle in a wee stop.

I thought of buying one for the Hill Climbs, all the fast boys wear one... but then again, most of the races are in October when it's cold and I really can't see myself wearing one freezing to death waiting for my start time... probably not to gain a single second, given how short races are.

It's also very revealing... any gram of excess body fat will make you look more ridiculous
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I thought these things had zips down the front so a wee stop shouldn't be any more tricky than normal?
  • mrb123 said:

I thought these things had zips down the front so a wee stop shouldn't be any more tricky than normal?

Well, you normally don't need to unzip yourself with shorts... but either way, the question is why would anyone want to wear a skinsuit outside a race? I just don't get it
  • neeb
    These speed suits are not quite like full-on skin suits, They have pockets at the back and you can in fact pee without unzipping, the top bit is only partially attached at the front. Sort of like shorts and jersey fixed together. Half way house. It’s great not having to deal with the bottom of the jersey sagging or riding up! I really like mine, but only for fast summer riding..
  • Are they robust?

Obviously a skinsuit costs more or less like a high end pair of bibshorts + jersey, but typically it's not designed to last as long, so it's not an everyday item. You wash it a dozen times and it's stretched so much that all the aero benefits are lost.
  • neeb

Are they robust?

Obviously a skinsuit costs more or less like a high end pair of bibshorts + jersey, but typically it's not designed to last as long, so it's not an everyday item. You wash it a dozen times and it's stretched so much that all the aero benefits are lost.

Don't know yet, only got mine at the tail end of the summer.. But they are supposed to be based on the Castelli aero jersey and shorts so presumably designed to last a decent time ("The lower portion of the suit is our Free Aero Race 4 bibshort, our most comfortable suit for your longest, toughest race days").

Time will tell.. I do worry a little about snagging or ripping it when stuffing things in and out of pockets..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I bought one last year with the intention of using it for hill climbing season but the impact of COVID-19 on my family and job binned that idea, now it’s far to big so defeats the purpose
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • neeb
    itboffin said:

I bought one last year with the intention of using it for hill climbing season but the impact of COVID-19 on my family and job binned that idea, now it’s far to big so defeats the purpose

Is it now far too big because it's stretched or because you've lost weight..?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    neeb said:

itboffin said:

Is it now far too big because it's stretched or because you've lost weight..?
    Yes i lost a ton of weight so now it looks like a baggy boiler suit
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.