Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

monday deçà, delà, pareil à la feuille morte

'ning

ride, cafes and wfh with no giro

more rain forecast, sigh
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Posts

  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 8,911
    Morning, cooler but dry at the moment, let’s hope it stays that way, ride, cutting the lawns weather permitting, flu jab later.
    Have a good day
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,878
    Rest day, so longer walk with hounds, now work stuff and then meet up later with the chaps I cycled Kilimanjaro with as it’s a year since we went 😳
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,208
    gloomygrey out for the ride and first cafe

    usual weekday coronajam on the roads

    time for another cafe
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,173
    You had me excited for a moment SG - I thought that this thread was about mIlle feuille at a glance. But alas no.

    Still reeling after the way Pedersen crossed the gap at GW.

    Bit dull and wet here, worse, we're going shopping. Toots are off for a fortnight. Ho hum.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,208
    nope, just a signal to the resistance, haven't had a decent mille-feuille for ages, which gives me an idea
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,012
    Morning, fun weekend of DIY, work and fishing gear cable strands out my shifter, will index the new cable later probably.
    Very dull an grey in Heckshire just pondering what fresh hell BoJo will announce later.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,173
    edited October 2020
    sungod said:

    nope, just a signal to the resistance, haven't had a decent mille-feuille for ages, which gives me an idea

    My take:

    Bottom layer - peaches cooked in Kirsch and covered with Creme patissiere. Tinned will do, just pour off at least half the syrup, add a drop of water and Kirsch to your discretion.
    Middle layer - whipped cream.
    Top layer - black currant jam with a hint of red wine mixed in to make it easier to spread (and tastier).

    Light dusting of icing sugar.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,160
    'ning

    Sore today. Did a 60km smashfest on Saturday (back home in 2hrs) and then out for 110km yesterday on a very attritional route including gravel. Had a fantastic flat white and flapjack, mid-ride though.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,208
    pinno said:

    sungod said:

    nope, just a signal to the resistance, haven't had a decent mille-feuille for ages, which gives me an idea

    My take:

    Bottom layer - peaches cooked in Kirsch and covered with Creme patissiere. Tinned will do, just pour off at least half the syrup, add a drop of water and Kirsch to your discretion.
    Middle layer - whipped cream.
    Top layer - black currant jam with a hint of red wine mixed in to make it easier to spread (and tastier).

    Light dusting of icing sugar.
    i was thinking more of a local patisserie :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973
    Not a bad morning, but about to go onto a very long audit planning call with our external auditors. I'm sure it doesn't take 4 hours to tell them they just need to say 'yes, that's OK' but luckily we'll just be listening in the background in case anyone says something particularly stupid. At least we don't have to meet them in person.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 4,610
    Stevo_666 said:

    I'm sure it doesn't take 4 hours to tell them they just need to say 'yes, that's OK' but luckily we'll just be listening in the background in case anyone says something particularly stupid.

    Sounds an ideal time for a bit of turbo.

  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 4,610
    'noon

    Early run
    Shopping
    Try to WFH
    Site meetings
    Zwift
    Try to WFH again
    Gym maybe later.

  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973

    Stevo_666 said:

    I'm sure it doesn't take 4 hours to tell them they just need to say 'yes, that's OK' but luckily we'll just be listening in the background in case anyone says something particularly stupid.

    Sounds an ideal time for a bit of turbo.

    The only turbos I have are attached to my car :smile:
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,844
    Afternoon All, wet wet wet. Busy wkend so no biking. Not feeling it at the moment, hopefully things will improve soon. Got some courses coming up and some time off for builders doing stuff in the garden, so keeps me away from bosses for a bit.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Looks like a few miserable weeks are coming.

    Currently WFH as I felt a bit poorly this morning, not CV related. More SB related.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,054



    Currently WFH as I felt a bit poorly this morning, not CV related. More SB related.

    "SB" = Sauvignon blanc? If so, you only have yourself to blame...I could recommend any number of delicious white wines, none of which will reek of methoxypyrazine. :s;)


  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973
    hopkinb said:



    Currently WFH as I felt a bit poorly this morning, not CV related. More SB related.

    "SB" = Sauvignon blanc? If so, you only have yourself to blame...I could recommend any number of delicious white wines, none of which will reek of methoxypyrazine. :s;)


    Hoppy, you'd get on great guns with the tax partner in charge of our account. Grade A wine buff - has a spiral staircase going from his kitchen down to his 2,000 bottle wine cellar. Sort of bloke who brings his own to Michelin starred joints and pays corkage.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,054
    Stevo_666 said:



    Hoppy, you'd get on great guns with the tax partner in charge of our account. Grade A wine buff - has a spiral staircase going from his kitchen down to his 2,000 bottle wine cellar. Sort of bloke who brings his own to Michelin starred joints and pays corkage.

    Thereby saving himself a small fortune if he drinks expensive wine. A house wine will be £30 in that kind of place, for a £5-6 wine. Markups get lower the higher you go. So a wine that retails at £100 might be typically £300 to £350.

    If he bought "en primeur", or on allocation, back when wine wasn't astronomically expensive i.e. before approx 2009/2010, he might have paid £50 for a bottle that now retails at £500, and would be £1500 in a posh restaurant. Even if he pays £50 corkage, he's laughing.

    All relative of course as it's still a lot of money, and if you dgaf about wine, drink water or beer!

    When I'm on hols in France, Italy, Spain or even Greece now, I just get a carafe of the local red/white/rosé depending on what I'm eating. You never really have that option in the uk really.

    I like to go to one of Hawksmoor's steak restaurants on a Monday, when corkage is a fiver. One of London's (and Manchester's) little luxuries.

    Mmm. Wine. Unfortunately it's 0.0% jasmine tea this evening.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973
    hopkinb said:

    Stevo_666 said:



    Hoppy, you'd get on great guns with the tax partner in charge of our account. Grade A wine buff - has a spiral staircase going from his kitchen down to his 2,000 bottle wine cellar. Sort of bloke who brings his own to Michelin starred joints and pays corkage.

    Thereby saving himself a small fortune if he drinks expensive wine. A house wine will be £30 in that kind of place, for a £5-6 wine. Markups get lower the higher you go. So a wine that retails at £100 might be typically £300 to £350.

    If he bought "en primeur", or on allocation, back when wine wasn't astronomically expensive i.e. before approx 2009/2010, he might have paid £50 for a bottle that now retails at £500, and would be £1500 in a posh restaurant. Even if he pays £50 corkage, he's laughing.

    All relative of course as it's still a lot of money, and if you dgaf about wine, drink water or beer!

    When I'm on hols in France, Italy, Spain or even Greece now, I just get a carafe of the local red/white/rosé depending on what I'm eating. You never really have that option in the uk really.

    I like to go to one of Hawksmoor's steak restaurants on a Monday, when corkage is a fiver. One of London's (and Manchester's) little luxuries.

    Mmm. Wine. Unfortunately it's 0.0% jasmine tea this evening.
    This is a fairly senior PwC partner so I don't reckon he's trying to save money, more likely he's doing it because he loves his vino and knows/thinks he knows more than the sommelier.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,054
    He's not doing it to save cash, he loves wine, buys wine, but he also saves a lot bringing his own wine because of restaurant markups.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,878
    Stevo_666 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    I'm sure it doesn't take 4 hours to tell them they just need to say 'yes, that's OK' but luckily we'll just be listening in the background in case anyone says something particularly stupid.

    Sounds an ideal time for a bit of turbo.

    The only turbos I have are attached to my car :smile:
    Mates car was on top gear this week, with horrific turbo lag, but oh so fast.

    He sent me a video of him at 212mph 😎
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973
    tlw1 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    I'm sure it doesn't take 4 hours to tell them they just need to say 'yes, that's OK' but luckily we'll just be listening in the background in case anyone says something particularly stupid.

    Sounds an ideal time for a bit of turbo.

    The only turbos I have are attached to my car :smile:
    Mates car was on top gear this week, with horrific turbo lag, but oh so fast.

    He sent me a video of him at 212mph 😎
    Take this is an AMG that's been fettled by someone like Renntech?

    Linky? (unless it's incriminating evidence).
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973
    hopkinb said:

    He's not doing it to save cash, he loves wine, buys wine, but he also saves a lot bringing his own wine because of restaurant markups.

    True, but incidental for someone who makes that much with no wife, ex-wife, car or kids...
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,432 Lives Here
    Evening folks,
    Busy day of wfh/w with a few bits of unnecessary added grief. Now unwinding in peace at last. More of the same tomorrow I suspect.
    tlw1 said:


    He sent me a video of him at 212mph 😎

    Old Jag? Only saw the second half unfortunately.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,878

    Evening folks,
    Busy day of wfh/w with a few bits of unnecessary added grief. Now unwinding in peace at last. More of the same tomorrow I suspect.

    tlw1 said:


    He sent me a video of him at 212mph 😎

    Old Jag? Only saw the second half unfortunately.
    Yep
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,432 Lives Here
    tlw1 said:

    Evening folks,
    Busy day of wfh/w with a few bits of unnecessary added grief. Now unwinding in peace at last. More of the same tomorrow I suspect.

    tlw1 said:


    He sent me a video of him at 212mph 😎

    Old Jag? Only saw the second half unfortunately.
    Yep
    Very nice, rare piece of kit that.
Sign In or Register to comment.