cannondale caad8 2016 brake advise

Hi guys & gals , I have a cannondale caad8 2016 with Shimano Sora STI 9-speed shifters.. The stock brakes are SHOCKING (pro max what ever they are..) What shimano brake callipers can I use with these shifters? - Will any shimano ie 105, ultra, dura race etc fit with no issues?? I want shimano as I intend to also upgrade the shifters in the future.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Sora callipers?
  • Hi Bigbail. I had a CAAD 8 some while back. One of the very best things I did to the bike was to upgrade to Shimano 105 brake calipers. Together with some Swissstop brake pads it improved the braking massively.
    I don’t often do that many upgrades on my bikes , but this, a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Continental GP4000s tyres transformed the bike. Fond memories of my black, white and red CAAD 8!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    You need to check the brake drop of the calipers. My son has a Cannondale Synapse with Sora Groupset and I was trying to update his brakes with some 105 Calipers I had spare but the drop wasn’t long enough. He’s stuck with the crappy brakes for now.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    You need to check the brake drop of the calipers. My son has a Cannondale Synapse with Sora Groupset and I was trying to update his brakes with some 105 Calipers I had spare but the drop wasn’t long enough. He’s stuck with the crappy brakes for now. So check before you buy anything.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    Synapse has bigger clearances but a CAAD 8 will take a standard drop caliper. I have 105 5800 calipers operated by older 5600 levers and they work very well.

If you plan to replace the shifters at a later date it would make sense to fit the corresponding calipers now, eg if you're going for all 105 R7000.

Bear in mind if you're moving to 11 speed you'll ideally need shifters and mechs, chain and cassette, so it might be more cost effective to buy the groupset complete. Also not sure if a 9 speed chainring will play nicely with an 11 speed chain.
    Plus check that your rear wheel will take an 11 speed cassette. (Neither of mine will, so I'm stuck at 10 speed)

If you end up needing a groupset, chainset and wheels you're heading for an expensive Trigger's broom type project