Is dipping beadline dangerous?

Despite numerous attempts to fix a dipping bead line on my rear tyre I've got nowhere with it. I've done everything suggested on the internet. It only dips ever so slightly, you wouldn't notice unless you looked closely and you can't feel it whilst riding.

I'll try to get it to the LBS soon but in the meantime...

...my question is, is it dangerous to ride? I know that if it was bulging that would be a big no no but can't seem to find any accounts of a dipping bead line being particular dangerous.

Comments

• Is this because you are using tubeless rims?

Yes, if the tyre doesn't sit properly it is a problem... typically by pumping it up a little more it should go up... if it doesn't upon manipulation, then take it off and try to soap it a bit...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Is this because you are using tubeless rims?

Yes, if the tyre doesn't sit properly it is a problem... typically by pumping it up a little more it should go up... if it doesn't upon manipulation, then take it off and try to soap it a bit...

Tube in tubeless 'ready' rims
  • Do you use large inner tubes?
    I always find that the best choice is the smallest possible inner tube... go one size down if you need to... nothing wrong with using inner tubes rated up to 25 mm for a 28 mm tyre for example... just don't go crazy and use them for a 32 mm.

Also, make sure you use tubeless tape and not normal rim tape
  • Do you use large inner tubes?
    I always find that the best choice is the smallest possible inner tube... go one size down if you need to... nothing wrong with using inner tubes rated up to 25 mm for a 28 mm tyre for example... just don't go crazy and use them for a 32 mm.

Also, make sure you use tubeless tape and not normal rim tape

I'll give that a go.

Yes, using tubeless tape.

But... is it dangerous to use in the meantime?
  • It's hard to say, but most likely you are pinching the inner tube, which is typically the reason the tyre doesn't sit on the rim correctly...