Boardman Comp fi ( womens mtb )

As per title .
Looking at one of these for my wife . She has a basic btwin but is prefering the gears on my merida . Instead of the grip shift type change

Have another newbie thread here

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13113388/new-to-mountain-bikes-merida-tfs-100-and-any-advice-be-great#latest

Bike is a
Boardman Comp fi
26" Wheels
17” frame
In White and Pink
27 Speed Sram X5 Groupset
Tektro Draco Hydraulic brakes
SrSuntour Epicon Lockout Front Suspension
Continental Mountain King 2.2 Tyres

Anything particular to look for . Are the a decent bike .

Thanks in advance

Comments

• daveUK
    daveUK Posts: 19
    When i say she is prefering the gears on the merida . She tried my tfs 100 .. although abit bigger she did prefer the gears on it :)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited October 2020
    By all means get her another bike, a new bike is seldom money wasted. :)
    But if she likes her current bike, just not the twist grip shifter, then change them. It will be cheaper than buying a new bike.
  • daveUK
    Thanks for the reply .
    She sort of rushed into a btwin . Mtb same day i got a merida . Now she is wishing she waited out a little for something she prefers .
    She loves mine but is a bit too big for her at 19inch frame.
    She spotted a few boardman bikes and does like them so hopefully she can decide . Im letting her make those decisions 😁
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Wise man!
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited October 2020
    Boardman is an ok bike. A few Mates have had them in the past, decent quality air forks and spec. list. I run a rear Trail King tyre and does the job.

If I was being critical and based on my Pal's experience with older models is the bottom bracket didn't last long before they needed replacing. Nothing to worry about or to put you off just keep an eye out for play after around 8ish months of use.

If bb starts to grind then play will develop not long after. A better quality Shimano replacement would be easy and cheap to fit and should be good for the next 5-10 years.

As above, a wise choice to let the missus make the decision, anything for an easy life! 😂👍
  • daveUK
    Lol 100% wise move 😁

At the moment not going full on .
    Loving my merida but may upgrade to a newer one next year
    Wifes is a btwin rockrider . Normal brakes etc and grip shift .
    Went to bedgebury last week and persuaded her to try some of the red trails . She preferd those to the normal blue routes so we done a blue route . She wanted to go again and eneroute got her to try some red and she loved it . Not super sonic but a step in the right direction . Was then she decided she wants a better spec bike . Disc brakes . Shifts like mine etc .
    Budgeting around the £300 mark realy at the moment . Lots of bikes around but mainly mens bikes then the boardman popped up and she lukes the look of it .

Mine isnt the newest . A merida tfs 100 trail 19" but do love it