11-34 cassete on smart trainer

I recently bought a used road bike that's been upgraded to a slightly newer groupset with a 11-32 9sp cassette. The seller also gave me the original 11-34 9sp cassete. Can I just use the 11-34 cassette on my direct-drive trainer or do I need to match the cassette?

Thanks!

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Should be fine.
    Stick it in the big ring on the front and the 32t cog, if there rear mech still allows still a bit of slack in the chain then it's fine.
    You wouldn't normally use that gear combo anyway.
  • skabei
    skabei Posts: 16
    That is true, I guess as long as it can go to that gear without issue, I wouldn't use it anyway.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    edited October 2020
    You’ll have to index the rear mech if you use different cassettes. ( it’s easy to do with plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this).

I’d avoid cross chaining that thistle suggests as you’re putting unnecessary stress on the chain. Any doubt about that statement then have a look at this https://road.cc/content/feature/cross-chaining-it-really-all-bad-213468

Just use the inner front and the middle of the cassette and stick your trainer in ERG mode which takes out the thinking and just leaves you to pedal.

Good luck with the training over winter
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu