Foot Hot Spot

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited October 2020 in Road general
Normally I wear Spesh Torch 3 Road shoes (with Look KEO pedals) however I have recently moved overseas (from the UK) and was limited on what I could pack. I wasn't sure what sort of biking I would find in Vietnam, all the online stuff I found pointed to offroad, so I took my Spesh Tahoe MTB shoes.

I have now bought a road bike and fitted it with SPD pedals. After only 55km on Saturday I noticed I was developing a hot spot near the ball of my right foot.

Question I am asking, is this a hotspot associated with lack of stiffness (relative to Torch 3) or is it to do with the SPD platform?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have this and still suffer from it from time to time. I think it’s more to do with tight shoes and your feet swelling than the stiffness of your shoes. Mine appeared to be caused by wearing tight rock climbing shoes then getting really hot feet combined with a lot of hills which caused my foot to swell. I bought wider shoes which has helped. I still get it to minor degree when it’s really hot and doing lots of hills.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Try a different type of insole.
    I used to suffer really badly with hotspot due to high arches. Got a set of the specialized footbeds and never had hotspot since.
  • navrig2
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I don't think it's a width or tightness issue. I wear Spesh shoes because I know they have enough width and I had thin socks on. The shoes never felt tight even in the heat (34+ degrees).

I might try alternate insoles. My previous Spesh road shoes didn't need them but I do have the Blue versions in the Torch shoes. I've used the Tahoes for years but not for a 55km road ride. Most offroad stuff has been much more start and stop.

Heaven knows where I might find Spesh insoles out here!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Less stiff soles can cause hotspots as well.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I have Sidas moulded insoles. Well worth it. Had them for about 6 years now and just swap them from shoe to shoe. Incredibly comfortable.

PP
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Is the pain between the ball of your foot and 2nd/3rd toes? If so, I’ve suffered the same. Google metatarsalgia and/or Morton’s neuroma and see if the symptoms fit. I’ve gone to wide shoes and special insoles for some relief. Shoes with tight toe room and poor arch support will aggravate it.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Surely if you've already owned the shoes and not had a problem with them in the past, lack of stiffness of the sole or the type of insole isn't the issue?

I was suffering similar problems earlier this year and played around with the cleat position. Having big, wide feet I found that moving the cleats further back and as far outboard from the bike reduced the hotspots significantly, as the pedalling pressure was put far more through the ball of my foot rather than to the side of it.

I've always found with SPD pedals that they don't offer as much support across the whole footbed as SPDSL pedals.
  • navrig2
    Cargobike said:

Surely if you've already owned the shoes and not had a problem with them in the past, lack of stiffness of the sole or the type of insole isn't the issue?

I would agree however I am now using the shoes in a different way - longer road riding as opposed to the stop and start of trail riding.
    Cargobike said:

I've always found with SPD pedals that they don't offer as much support across the whole footbed as SPDSL pedals.

That's also part of my question given I normally use Look Keo.

I suspect it is to do with the reduced sole stiffness.
  • navrig2
    racerex said:

Is the pain between the ball of your foot and 2nd/3rd toes? If so, I’ve suffered the same. Google metatarsalgia and/or Morton’s neuroma and see if the symptoms fit. I’ve gone to wide shoes and special insoles for some relief. Shoes with tight toe room and poor arch support will aggravate it.

Not as your description. Mostly in my right foot and just to the right of the ball of the foot.
  • webboo
    Are you doing more climbing especially out of the saddle. I tend to point my right foot down when out of the saddle which squash’s my toes against the outside of my shoe and it’s my right foot that has the problem. When this first occurred I saw a physio, then a consultant and although it appeared I had Morton’s I didn’t fit the profile and scan was inconclusive. I had steroid injection which gave some short term relief. However it was the wider shoes that most help and trying to remember to keep my foot flatter.
  • navrig2
    webboo said:

Are you doing more climbing especially out of the saddle. I tend to point my right foot down when out of the saddle which squash’s my toes against the outside of my shoe and it’s my right foot that has the problem. When this first occurred I saw a physio, then a consultant and although it appeared I had Morton’s I didn’t fit the profile and scan was inconclusive. I had steroid injection which gave some short term relief. However it was the wider shoes that most help and trying to remember to keep my foot flatter.

No, it's as flat as a pancake here. 100m elevation gain in 55km.
  • webboo
    You haven’t been wear stilettos as they are b*gger for causing Morton’s.
  • navrig2
    webboo said:

You haven’t been wear stilettos as they are b*gger for causing Morton’s.

Rumbled. Would stockings and suspenders sort it?
  • webboo
    Fishnets are the solution.
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    navrig2 said:

racerex said:

Not as your description. Mostly in my right foot and just to the right of the ball of the foot.
    navrig2 said:

racerex said:

You may need to look into cants (like wedges) between the sole and cleat if the pressure on your foot is not even.