Help buying used road bike for a beginner

I want to buy a used road bike purely for Zwifting on my Elite Suito since I'm using a hybrid and it's not ideal.

I found one on the local classifieds. Used prices have been expensive during the pandemic but this one isn't as inflated as others.

It's a 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2 and the seller claims everything is in great working shape. The inner and outer cables as well as the brakes have been recently replaced. He does say, however, that the bike needs to be indexed again to properly align the derailer to the sprocket, but the bike shifts well.

I'm not that familiar with bikes yet, but does this sound like a red flag?
I'm watching videos and learning about indexing and adjusting a derailer and I think I need to do this on my current hybrid, actually. Will give this a guy tonight.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If the bike changes gear OK the indexing is OK.
    When you have bought a road bike leave the hybrid where it is and go and ride you new bike on some country lanes in the fresh air. :)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes it's a red flag in that indexing is a 5 minute job. It's possible that's all it needs but it could be a problem with the cabling (new cable done badly) , mech, hanger or shifter.

If you don't know how to fix that means a trip to the bike shop.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It could also be a worn drivetrain .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • skabei
    skabei Posts: 16
    Thanks, guys!
    lesfirth said:

When you have bought a road bike leave the hybrid where it is and go and ride you new bike on some country lanes in the fresh air. :)

Definitely will do. I need to wait for tools to come in to change the cassette on my trainer anyway.

Yes it's a red flag in that indexing is a 5 minute job. It's possible that's all it needs but it could be a problem with the cabling (new cable done badly) , mech, hanger or shifter.

I suppose I should be checking if it shifts well when I try it and make sure all the gears work and there's nothing major like a bent derailer. Though, even with a bent derailer, I might just knock a bit off the price to buy a new one.

If all is good otherwise, maybe I don't even need to do anything for just Zwifting?

The seller says it shifts as well as it could but he doesn't want to touch the barrel adjusters himself in case he makes it worse. I'm not sure how to interpret that but I'll find out.
  • skabei
    Thanks, guys!
    lesfirth said:

Will do! I need to wait for tools to come in to change the cassette on my trainer anyway, so I'll enjoy the bike on the road until then.

I guess I should check if it shifts okay and that all gears can be reached. And also check if the derailer is bent or damaged - though, a damaged derailer is replaceable so I could just knock a bit off the price to buy a new one.

The seller said that it shifts as well as it could but he doesn't want to touch the barrel adjusters himself in case he makes it worse. I'm not sure how to interpret that but I'll find out when I try it.

Perhaps if it works well enough, I could just Zwift with it?
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    Leave it a couple of weeks from now, there will be some bargains appearing in the classifieds / flea Bay / Facebook locals / Shpock etc. There were a whole lot of bikes ‘panic bought’ that will be looking for new homes.
  • skabei

Leave it a couple of weeks from now, there will be some bargains appearing in the classifieds / flea Bay / Facebook locals / Shpock etc. There were a whole lot of bikes ‘panic bought’ that will be looking for new homes.

I've been considering that but I'm looking for a budget bike and nothing close to new anyway. I'm located in Toronto, Canada and all local stores are out of stock in anything remotely close to budget and cheaper bikes at used shops are also out of stock.

I actually almost bought a new gravel bike just because it's the only budget model in my size that's in stock at any store in the city but I decided to just pick up a budget road bike for Zwift and then properly pick a new gravel bike that's right for me next year.

I'm okay with the price of this bike, albeit, it's definitely higher than the blue-book value. It does come with an upgraded shifter (along with the original), extra cassette, new tires and recently replaced cable, so that saves me some trouble as well as some money for getting a matching cassette for my trainer.
  • skabei
    I went and took a look at the bike. Condition is excellent. Only a few very minor paint nicks. Shifter works well and all gears can be reached. The owner said an indexing might be required because it shifted smoother and more quietly before the shifters and derailers were upgraded.

So I bought it and I enjoyed it for a bit in the dark before bringing it back in. Will hook it up to my trainer soon.

Thanks, guys!