Aero Road Bike up to $15k

Hey, thoughts on best aero road bike up to US$15k?

I like rides of 75 miles or so, 2x week, mostly flat terrain, currently riding a fully upgraded Trek Domane, which I love for the comfort, but every time I get to ride a proper aero bike, I’m just amazed w the cornering and how easy I can sustain speed.

Anyway, my biggest concern is to avoid a bike that makes a 4 hour ride painful on the back. Finally, I mostly prefer brands that have good distribution networks. Always good to support local shops, so we get good service when we need

My current list includes:
- Trek Madone SLR9
- Cannondale System Six HiMod
- BMC time machine road 01-01

Outside contenders
- Pinarello Dogma F12 (“acquired taste”)
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 (not true aero?)
- Scott Foil Pro (questionable quality?)

Or should I wait for something else coming up in the next few months?

Thanks!

Werner
Singapore

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ok it won’t support any local shops but the Canyon Aeroad is a great aero bike. New model launches tomorrow. Had mine for 5 years and it’s been faultless.
  • Bianchi Oltre XR4 would be my suggestion.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Bianchi Oltre XR4 would be my suggestion.

A bike that's several years old?
    Canyon are launching the new Aeroad today, could be worth a gander at.
  • Bianchi Oltre XR4 would be my suggestion.

Or he could get something new and good.

• brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020

Bianchi Oltre XR4 would be my suggestion.

Or he could get something new and good.

You obviously haven’t ridden an XR4. Bianchi have gone down the ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t try and fix it’ route. Just because something is new, doesn’t necessarily make it better.
    The Pinarello Dogma is a great example. The F10 is a far nicer ride than the ‘newer / better’ F12 in my opinion. In order to ‘improve’ the F10, Pinarello made the F12 lighter, which meant it had to be stiffer, to compensate for reduction in material. In my opinion, that makes the F12 an unnecessarily harsh ride, in comparison to the F10. Again, the Bianchi scores highly because Bianchi are one of ( if not the ) oldest bicycle manufacturer with 135 years of experience, if they say the XR4 is fine as it is, I’m not arguing. That brings me back to the O.P’s question. If he wants to go for a Pinarello, I’d say try to find an F10, rather than an F12.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    They will say that... until they have a new model out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If I had $15k to spend on a bike, I'd make sure it was something no one else owned...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Ben6899 said:

If I had $15k to spend on a bike, I'd make sure it was something no one else owned...

This 100%
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    $15k on a bike used a couple of times a week?!!

Seems a tad extravagant, especially when you're going into super-superbike territory which aren't renowned for being the most comfortable of bikes, off the peg.

Buy whatever allows you to willy wave the most, as I don't understand how you can justify that kind of price tag otherwise. You don't mention whether you race, but I can't see what perceptible gain you get from spending that kind of money that couldn't be gained by buying something cheaper.

If money really is of no concern, I too would go bespoke and buy something made to measure, a one-off that is 100% yours only.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited October 2020
    Nice Colnago would do nicely.
  • yellowv2 said:

Ben6899 said:

This 100%
    Never thought of that. How can I tell a good bespoke bike maker? Any recommendations?

Or are you talking about customisation? (Eg: Trek Project One)

Cheers!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited October 2020
    wiucksch said:

yellowv2 said:

Ben6899 said:

This 100%
    Never thought of that. How can I tell a good bespoke bike maker? Any recommendations?

Cheers!
    Sarto could probably build you something bespoke carbon aero bike with your budget. It'd be very much made for someone with your measurements instead of just an off the shelf bike.

If Bianchi are the Fiat of the italian cycling brands then Sarto are the Maserati.

Here's a review that may help:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/05/sarto-lampo-plus-frameset-review/
  • Cargobike said:

$15k on a bike used a couple of times a week?!!

Seems a tad extravagant, especially when you're going into super-superbike territory which aren't renowned for being the most comfortable of bikes, off the peg.

Buy whatever allows you to willy wave the most, as I don't understand how you can justify that kind of price tag otherwise. You don't mention whether you race, but I can't see what perceptible gain you get from spending that kind of money that couldn't be gained by buying something cheaper.

If money really is of no concern, I too would go bespoke and buy something made to measure, a one-off that is 100% yours only.

“Willy wave”? Seriously? Kindergarten time...
  • A few bespoke ideas off the top of my head, below is a mix of carbon, steel and titanium - so the 'aero' may be subjective here.

Sarto
    Feska
    Passoni
    Pegoretti
    (Ricky) Feather
    (Rob) English
    Donhue (sp?)
    Baum
    Legend
    Independent Fabrications
    Cherubim

(may need to check spelling there)

If you need ideas, then weightweenies is a great place to have a look as they spend serious amounts of money on kit over there.

This guy, for starters:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138252

The best bit about buying a bike for general flat riding - no need to go discs :wink:
  • Ok it won’t support any local shops but the Canyon Aeroad is a great aero bike. New model launches tomorrow. Had mine for 5 years and it’s been faultless.

Just watched the launch on GCN, looks very nice. Similar to the Cannondale SystemSix in appearance, even the Color scheme. Thanks for the tip
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    edited October 2020
    There are only marginal gains after your distill the marketing BS and real world performance gains from a retail price of $3000 for a bike.

Personally I would lower your budget and invest the rest in a week or two of personal excess and indulgdance ( whores , drugs, cake, partying etc) or if that doesn't float your boat, donate the balance to a charity of your choice. A much better outcome than dropping that amount of cash on bike rather than pontificating around a choice of bike with total strangers whose knowledge is only subjective from the perspective of the OP.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    I've always thought Argonaut was a great looking bike, but I never hear much about them. What's the general feeling about them? Worth the money?
  • See my link on weightweenies above. That guy has one and writes a detailed review of the build.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Ben6899 said:

If I had 15K to spend on a bike it would have four wheels and a motor... and a roof and windows.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    slowmart said:

There are only marginal gains after your distill the marketing BS and real world performance gains from a retail price of $3000 for a bike.

The marginal gains start from about 800 quid up (ie cheap carbon with 105 gruppo)

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited October 2020
    wiucksch said:

yellowv2 said:

Ben6899 said:

This 100%

Cheers!
    Bespoke. Project One, as nice as some are, they're just paint jobs.

shirleybasso's list is a good one ^^^. I would add Rourke to that list.

Btw, you won't have to be anywhere near $15k unless you buy some bonkers wheels.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    The Canyon has to be a consideration - prices look reasonable as you are likely to get with some decent wheels included and the geometry is a bit less extreme than the previous model - that's an individual thing I suppose but it was very long and low before - now it's just fairly long and low.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • davidof said:

Ben6899 said:

If I had 15K to spend on a bike it would have four wheels and a motor... and a roof and windows.
    If you have 15k to spend on a bike you already have the car you want.

While I'm a bit envious of your budget, more the power to you for spending it on an awesome toy rather than something sensible with seats and a steering wheel.