Looking to try smaller frames. What do you think?

Hi,

I am 6"3 and I want to try what some cyclists do, which is riding a smaller frame. I am only curious about the comfort and less about whether smaller frames are stiffer. For some reason I like smaller reach and I am not worried about going super aero, my back is not that flexible anyway.

For my 6"3, should I try 58cm frames? Because normally I go for 62cm.

I am also looking into the 58cm because I am looking to buy a used bike. There is way more bikes with 58cm size than 62cm too, which means more options for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Frame shapes for a given frame size vary lots these days, my Cube Attain is a 58cm (although not one tube is 58cm long :D ) , with 388mm reach and 610mm stack.
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2016/road-race/attain/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-greynflashred-2016/

However, I'm only 5'10" but with short ~32" cycling inseam legs (29/30" trouser inseam).

I could have fitted a 56cm and possibly even a 53cm if I swapped to a 120/130mm stem, which given I typically use ~90cm pedal top to saddle top, would have resulted in more exposed seat post and thereby a bit more flex. But when I bought it, I was less flexible, with a weak lower back.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I wouldn’t have said a 58 is massively small for you anyway.

Cannondale quote a 58 should be between 6 feet & 6 feet 3 on a SuperSix Evo.

Depends on the geometry I guess as the above poster says.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    I’m an advocate of going for a smaller frame. I find it improves the responsiveness of the ride. As long as you compensate correctly with stem, bar and seat post dimensions / settings, it’s a good idea. Different frame shapes / geometrys result in different amounts of feel change too. A compact frame with a curved top tube, will be a different proposition to a more traditional frame shape.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I am 6.1 and a bit. long in the body and ride 56 cervelo s5. looked at a 54 which was a close fit

a 58 should be fine for you
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    ibr17xvii said:

I wouldn’t have said a 58 is massively small for you anyway.

Cannondale quote a 58 should be between 6 feet & 6 feet 3 on a SuperSix Evo.

Depends on the geometry I guess as the above poster says.

My old bike (Merida) was a 54cm. I replaced it with a 54cm CAAD12 and the reach is much longer (stems were the same size) and there's 40-50mm less seatpost sticking out!
    I'm not sue if the Cannondale is big or if it was the Merida that was small.

On the MTB I'm normally a medium. When my hack bike finally died I couldn't find a cheap medium frame so I bought a small, thinking it can't be that much different - but it's totally different :smiley:
    I had to buy an extended seatpost, but the shorter frame seems much more lively and fun.