24v 8amh electric bike battery that has "popped"

I have just bought a second hand a 20" Hopper bike with a 24v 8amh battery. The bike was sold as no battery. When I went to pick it up I was given the battery, controller and battery carrier.
I was told the battery had "popped", when I looked at it the case was open and inside there was a series of packet which looked as if they were inflated. I tried to fit the case together so that I could test it but couldn't force the case together. There is power in the battery. Can anyone offer and help or advise on what may have happened to the battery and if I could make it fit back into the case.
Thanks

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Lithium based batteries puff up when they are damaged, e.g. from a short or overcharging.

If just one or two of the cells (packets) are puffed up and you know what you're doing then you could replace the damaged cells. The difficulty will be getting cells that are matched to the old cells, in which case a full set of new cells might be better.
    If that's the case then unless you fancy the challenge is probably almost as cheap to buy a new battery pack, or a second hand functioning one.
  • Buy another battery. Dont burn your house down.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    ^^^this

don't mess around with it, the battery has failed causing high internal pressure

if there "is power in the battery", i.e. a lot of stored energy, worst case it could burst/ignite

even the small battery in a phone can cause serious damage/injury, what you have seems likely to be way more powerful

until you can arrange safe disposal (not in domestic waste collection!) store it outside somewhere cool and dry that'll stay safe if does go bang
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Don’t mess with it unless you really know what you are doing. This is a laptop Lithium battery fire. Worth a watch to see just how catastrophic your much bigger battery could be if it thermally runs away...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTbUP0sGQT8

PP
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    sungod said:

^^^this

don't mess around with it, the battery has failed causing high internal pressure

if there "is power in the battery", i.e. a lot of stored energy, worst case it could burst/ignite

You are quite right. I had a small rc battery that had puffed up, I thought I could release the pressure so stuck a knife into it (I was outside nowhere near my house of course), there was a big spark and the thing burst into flame and burnt.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof said:

sungod said:

^^^this

You are quite right. I had a small rc battery that had puffed up, I thought I could release the pressure so stuck a knife into it (I was outside nowhere near my house of course), there was a big spark and the thing burst into flame and burnt.

That's fantastic.