Upgrading group set

I'm wanting to update to an electronic group set on my current bike (Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2) but I'm getting a bit lost on what I can/can't do with what I've currently got. I've currently got Shimano 105 10x2. I've got a set of verve info crank cranks with praxis works chain rings up front that I'm wanting to keep but I don't know if they'd be compatible with an Ultegra Di2 11 speed or a Sram eTap 12 speed on the back. Also if I go 11 or 12, will I need to upgrade my while to fit the bigger cassette?

Comments

• PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited September 2020
    Well if you want to go 12 speed, you will need new wheels which support it. Although if you have the wheels that originally came with your bike, there is a chance they won't support 11 speed ether. And easy way to check is to see if you have a small spacer in-between the cassette and the wheels (which can be removed). If you don't, the wheels only support a max of 10 speed.

You could just look at getting an older 10 speed Di2 off eBay and then keep your existing crank/cassette. But the latest Di2 and eTap have some advantages over the first gen Di2. If you want to go 11 speed Di2, you will need to change your crank/chain/cassette, and as already said possibly your wheels to 11 speed versions (105 level equipment will work). If you want to go 12 speed eTap, you will need to change crank/chain/cassette/wheels.
  • Well if you want to go 12 speed, you will need new wheels which support it. Although if you have the wheels that originally came with your bike, there is a chance they won't support 11 speed ether. And easy way to check is to see if you have a small spacer in-between the cassette and the wheels (which can be removed). If you don't, the wheels only support a max of 10 speed.

You could just look at getting an older 10 speed Di2 off eBay and then keep your existing crank/cassette. But the latest Di2 and eTap have some advantages over the first gen Di2. If you want to go 11 speed Di2, you will need to change your crank/chain/cassette, and as already said possibly your wheels to 11 speed versions (105 level equipment will work). If you want to go 12 speed eTap, you will need to change crank/chain/cassette/wheels.

Brilliant, thanks for that. With regards the cranks, would it just be a case updating the chain rings to 11/12 speed ones or would I need to change the actual cranks too?