Worldwide shortage of...

Shimano group sets allegedly.

I was just about to order a Wilier Cento10 SL Ultegra, spoke to the shop last week and shipment was scheduled for November. Spoke to them this week to order the bike this week but shipment has now changed to May 2021 (!) because there is now a worldwide shortage of Shimano 105 and Ultegra groups sets.

Well I'm very happy that cycling is much more popular... but this is quite a crazy situation.

Comments

• The worrying thing is we'll all have to start paying full price for bike stuff !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Use a proper groupset, job jobbed.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The one that you have get off and push with.
  • webboo said:

The one that you have get off and push with.

It had a minor hiccough. It’s back to it’s best now though.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    So what do you consider to be a “proper” groupset?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Campagnolo. And they're like rocking horse sh1t at the moment as well.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gethinceri
    edited September 2020
    I was asking brundonbianchi
  • Ben6899
    I know. And I can tell you he's referring to Campagnolo.

All modern groupsets are "proper", he's talking rubbish, but unfortunately they all seem to be in short supply unless you're looking to upgrade to 12v.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • gethinceri
    I know you know, I just want to get him to step up to an opinion.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Ben6899 said:

I know. And I can tell you he's referring to Campagnolo.

All modern groupsets are "proper", he's talking rubbish, but unfortunately they all seem to be in short supply unless you're looking to upgrade to 12v.

Definitely true... This is probably behind Rose bikes decision to stop shipping to the UK - they can more than make up the sales by selling into Europe only.
  • Ben6899 said:

Campagnolo. And they're like rocking horse censored at the moment as well.

Quite. A lot of bike bits seem to be getting hard to come by at the moment.
  • The worrying thing is we'll all have to start paying full price for bike stuff !

Or actually more than the RRP. That’s not uncommon right now.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020
    But, if your pockets are deep enough, there isn’t such a big issue. I’m about to order another pricey rig, I believe there are no delays in shipping at present.
  • vegas76

But, if your pockets are deep enough, there isn’t such a big issue. I’m about to order another pricey rig, I believe there are no delays in shipping at present.

A rare surprise. Lots of things are out of stock. Its a terrible time to buy a bike.
  • vegas76 said:

A rare surprise. Lots of things are out of stock. Its a terrible time to buy a bike.
    Yep. I was hoping to make use of my wife's cycleto work scheme for a new commuter/winter trainer this month. Deadline for a decision for her company is this Friday but there is so little avialable at the moment in the right size/spec as you have to order either Trez or Halfords. I am going to have to postpone until next year.
  • vegas76
    Robi55 said:

vegas76 said:

Yep. I was hoping to make use of my wife's cycleto work scheme for a new commuter/winter trainer this month. Deadline for a decision for her company is this Friday but there is so little avialable at the moment in the right size/spec as you have to order either Trez or Halfords. I am going to have to postpone until next year.
    Was going to do a cycle scheme as well on a cento10 SL but no stock until spring next year. God knows what will happen with brexit and prices then.
  • I know you know, I just want to get him to step up to an opinion.

Millennial ambition
  • gethinceri
    Yeah, I know, with him it's just garbage anyway.
  • Yeah, I know, with him it's just garbage anyway.

I’ll take that as a compliment coming from you.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ben6899 said:

I bought a Campag Chorus 12 groupset from Merlin a couple of weeks back no problem >:)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    elbowloh said:

Ben6899 said:

I bought a Campag Chorus 12 groupset from Merlin a couple of weeks back no problem >:)
    I want 11sp so I can use my array of 11sp Shimano hubbed wheels without too much rigmarole!
    Ben

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    vegas76 said:

I was just about to order a Wilier Cento10 SL Ultegra, spoke to the shop last week and shipment was scheduled for November. Spoke to them this week to order the bike this week but shipment has now changed to May 2021 (!) because there is now a worldwide shortage of Shimano 105 and Ultegra groups sets.

Well I'm very happy that cycling is much more popular... but this is quite a crazy situation.

Good excuse to go for Dura Ace then :)
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

The worrying thing is we'll all have to start paying full price for bike stuff !

I'm good. I am not going to wait 6 months fora new bike so I cancelled my order.

• vegas76
    zest28 said:

vegas76 said:

Good excuse to go for Dura Ace then :)
    If anything, it'd be ultegra Di2, but that's a huge jump in price which I can't really justify.
  • vegas76
    Now I see that Giant has raised the price of their bikes. TCR Advanced Pro 0 by £200.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Trying to put together a parts bin bike from stuff I have lying around and can’t get the other bits that I need, particularly at lower prices points - this is going to be a commuting bike, so nothing expensive needed. Short of a cheap 2 x 10 165 or 170mm chainset, Tiagra level if anyone spots one for a good price. Front mechs also seem in short supply.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I have a brand new unopened 105 5700 band on front mech you can have for £20.
  • Merlin Cycles have 105 and Ultegra in stock. Just received my delivery.
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    edited October 2020
    You can get some great deals on Campagnolo 11 speed at present, Ultegra and Centaur are the same in capability, but obviously different design. so I'd probably choose Ultegra for ease, parts etc.. But Chorus is a step up in capability. The upside on Chorus is the better shifting performance i.e. the multiple shifts (3 and 5 instead of 1 and 2 on Ultegra), ability to co-ordinate the rear and front mech so you never have any cadence blips as you do on Ultegra, better-shaped ergo hoods, easier to use gear change when your hands are on the hoods or with chunky gloves. I've used Campagnolo rear cassettes on my Ultegra bike and vice a versa with zero issues as I have wheels for both. Certainly, as I ride both Ultegra and Chorus, the Chorus is a step above Utegra in capability.

Down-side is that parts are more expensive as you are dealing with a small European cycle stuff + effing expensive corkscrew engineering company rather than a large manufacturing company who are leaders in a lot of areas ....... Shimano is my personal favourite fishing reel manufacturer.

It almost heresy to say one groupset is better than another these days. But forget the manufacturer brand Chorus is a better groupset, if you want to you can pay more for exactly the same groupset in Record and even more for Super Record and save a few grammes and get ceramic bearings ..... but that would be for bike tarts only ...... which is why I have one coming on my new Italian steed a) it's the best mechanical groupset and b) I am a bike tart so need those words Record on my bike.

I can certainly understand the Ultegra safety play and there is nothing wrong with it at all. But if you want a more flexible groupset that is better by just enough to justify a couple of hundred quid, then do it. I certainly never regretted it and it is now my go-to higher-end mechanical groupset.
  • gethinceri
    I’ll get the popcorn on.