Zero Offset vs Offset Seat Posts

Hello All :

What are the benefits or reasons to employ a "Zero Offset Seat Post" vs say a "20 or 25mm Offset Seat Post ? Under which set of circumstances would one choose one over the other ?

Thanks in advice.

Jai

Comments

• I think I'm right in saying that it is purely (or should be) about achieving the best position on your bike vs. any other consideration. Some people have no setback for looks or lightness, but ideally you choose the level of setback based on the optimum position for your hips over the bottom bracket.
  • bondurant said:

I think I'm right in saying that it is purely (or should be) about achieving the best position on your bike vs. any other consideration. Some people have no setback for looks or lightness, but ideally you choose the level of setback based on the optimum position for your hips over the bottom bracket.

So I guess a bike fit would be the optimal way to figure out if an offset seat post is required or not.

• Supposedly there's a comfort benefit to an offset post a well. Supposedly.

J_vora you may also notice that shifting isn't on the down tube, some bike now have batteries, the brakes have moved, bikes and wheels are made of plastic, and 18c tyres are hard to come by. There have been changes to pedals as well. Cyclists now use a system similar to ski boots, instead of toe clips.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    its about your position on the bike. I can tell the difference between a laid back post or a straight (I iuse straight). I've seen riders with set back and the saddle pushed all the way back or fwd. Prob something to do with your physique
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited September 2020
    amrushton said:

...Prob something to do with your physique

Length of femur bone in relation to your physique I'd expect.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Apart from shortening reach, the other thing a zero offset seat post does is to place your knee more in line with the crank. For those with a bad knee it can help. A zero offset seat post is a much better option than moving your saddle too far forward and losing the flexibility of the rails to dampen bumps.
  • j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63
    pblakeney said:

amrushton said:

...Prob something to do with your physique

Length of femur bone in relation to your physique I'd expect.
    Makes good logical sense !

Appreciate the reply.
  • j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63

Apart from shortening reach, the other thing a zero offset seat post does is to place your knee more in line with the crank. For those with a bad knee it can help. A zero offset seat post is a much better option than moving your saddle too far forward and losing the flexibility of the rails to dampen bumps.

Another clear answer with explanations.

Many thanks !

Jai