Insurance companies

Hey everyone.
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that they use or have had good experiences with?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Leigh Day via British Cycling.
    Or just use the Forum search function.
  • Jack_Luke
    Jack_Luke Posts: 23
    edited September 2020

Hey everyone.
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company that they use or have had good experiences with?
    Thanks in advance!

I recommend you check out this article and give our insurance comparison tool a go! https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/compare-best-bicycle-insurance/
    Assistant Editor for BikeRadar.com. Keep up to date with my latest work here.
  • Yellow Jersey
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Bikmo.
    Really helpful and fast.
    Had a claim submitted on Thursday, phone call from underwriters to settle on Friday, money in my bank Wednesday
  • Eversure
    So Far!
  • If you are over 50 then SAGA are unbeatable in my opinion. I had the misfortune to find a broken seatstay on my Fondriest. SAGA were helpful in that instead of shipping the bike to England for examination by a company of their choice they agreed to let me have it examined locally in N.I. This showed that a repair would not be recommended due to safety concerns. SAGA paid in full with 3/5 days and all this on my house insurance. They even renewed my policy this year including the new Legend without any loading. Top class company.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Just been onto the SAGA site. Not cheap.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I’ve been with https://pedalcover.co.uk/ for a few years now. Very competitive, specific bike insurance with home buildings and contents. They cover me for £24k worth of bikes including accidental crash damage including all kit such as garmin/ shoes, clothing, helmet, lights, everything.

Covers me at home, out on a ride, in transit when travelling (say on an aeroplane) and when riding abroad. All for not much more than my previous home insurance alone was.

They also came up with a great idea which was to take out an standalone excess policy, which means you can take a higher excess (to get the price down of the policy) and if you ever have to claim, you can claim the excess from that policy. That excess policy also covers my car insurance excess, pet policies and others. Saved way more than the excess policy cost with reduced main policy premiums...

PP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

They also came up with a great idea which was to take out an standalone excess policy, which means you can take a higher excess (to get the price down of the policy) and if you ever have to claim, you can claim the excess from that policy. That excess policy also covers my car insurance excess, pet policies and others. Saved way more than the excess policy cost with reduced main policy premiums...

PP

Be aware that you can only make one excess claim per year.
    Claim on your pet excess and you can't claim your car excess.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Home Insurance with SAGA including bike @ £3500 plus some jewellery, all in premium of £200.00. Obviously depends on house value etc.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

Home Insurance with SAGA including bike @ £3500 plus some jewellery, all in premium of £200.00. Obviously depends on house value etc.

£550 for me which covers £24k worth of bikes and the house, which seems pretty good to me...

PP
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Pedalcover are a broker that have just changed to NIG, the list of requirements for storing a bike outside in a shed has changed, I've said I'll put a higher spec padlock than the Gold Sold Secure lock they require inside the shed but because its not on the sold secure list they wont accept it. The paper trail they require in the event of a claim are quite frankly ridiculous , I have 3 bikes that are not "off the peg" bikes and sending proof of purchase of every component on every bike is too much. I've offered to send photos and spec list of the bikes and what they are worth but apparently that's not enough, needless to say, I`ll take my business elsewhere.
  • pblakeney
    spatt77 said:

Pedalcover are a broker that have just changed to NIG, the list of requirements for storing a bike outside in a shed has changed, I've said I'll put a higher spec padlock than the Gold Sold Secure lock they require inside the shed but because its not on the sold secure list they wont accept it. The paper trail they require in the event of a claim are quite frankly ridiculous , I have 3 bikes that are not "off the peg" bikes and sending proof of purchase of every component on every bike is too much. I've offered to send photos and spec list of the bikes and what they are worth but apparently that's not enough, needless to say, I`ll take my business elsewhere.

That'll be the end of Pedalcover/NIG then.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My bikes are covered on my house insurance. They're in the shed (double/glazed, double lock door) with outbuilding cover. They're covered for up to £3000 each (i built the most expensive one for less than that, but would cost about that to buy a similar bike off the shelf).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    spatt77 said:

Damn, that’s a shame, I’ll have to shop around too. All of my bikes are self-built. And I’ve got a few £k’s of camera equipment too that they covered relatively inexpensively.
  • spatt77
    To give a balanced view, the cover is better but theirs so many hoops to jump through I`m not sure its worth it!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    When I enquired with pedal cover a couple of years ago. They reckoned they could match the price of other insurers with better cover. However they were quite a lot more expensive but stated that they understood the nuances of cycle insurance better than anyone else. But there was that poster on here who got his claimed for a stolen bike turned down because he locked his bike to another bike which in turn was chained to a tree. They said his wasn’t locked to an immovable object.
  • pblakeney
    Pedalcover started off very good.
    Then they got more expensive, and with more catches. I went back to standard home insurance in 2019. Claims are when you find the true value of your insurer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    pblakeney said:

Claims are when you find the true value of your insurer.

Exactly!
  • spatt77
    pblakeney said:

Then they got more expensive, and with more catches. I went back to standard home insurance in 2019. Claims are when you find the true value of your insurer.

I agree, and the more hoops you have to jump through the more " get outs" they have, you may have been sarcastic in your earlier post and this wont affect NIG , it might have an affect on Pedalcover! If you've got a bike(s) worth any serious amount there's a good chance you are on BikeRadar!
  • pblakeney
    spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

I agree, and the more hoops you have to jump through the more " get outs" they have, you may have been sarcastic in your earlier post and this wont affect NIG , it might have an affect on Pedalcover! If you've got a bike(s) worth any serious amount there's a good chance you are on BikeRadar!
    I wasn't being sarcastic.
    I gave up in 2019 and if your post is anything to go by so will many others.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Give Yellow Jersey a look. I insured with them last summer and found them sensible about locks and so on.