Scott CR1 Ccomfortable enough?

instdrifterPYv8qWw9
edited October 2020 in Road beginners
Hi

I am new to roadbiking. I used to ride a vintage steel Paganini which I find extremely comfortable. Now I got my first carbon, a Scott CR1 Comp 105 and I wonder if it fits me well. I enclosed a picture of me on the bike to have an idea.

What do you think?

Thank you

Comments

• Hard to tell since we can't see your feet. Really need a shot from further away with the nearest leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke. If that's where your leg is in the photo it looks too straight suggesting you need to drop the saddle a bit.
    I have a 2012 CR1-SL and find it super comfy. The only things which date it are external cabling and snug tyre clearances. The latter means 25mm is the max I can run, and I sometimes have a 23 on the rear where it's particularly tight between the chainstays.
    Oh, and the 31.6 seatpost which is a bit of an oddity on a supposedly comfort tuned bike...
  • Thank you for your reply.
    For the height of the saddle I think I found the sweet spot and it doesn't bother me. It's mostly the reach I am less comfortable about. I have a 110mm stem on it, I just ordered a 50mm one to try it on and see if it makes a difference.
    In the meanwhile I am keeping an eye on other bikes. For me it feels like I need a geometry that is like a vintage steel one. Maybe I should rather look for a racing instead of a road bike?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    50mm stem is really short, maybe try a 90mm.
  • I agree with diamonddog.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yep, 50mm stem is a massive drop from 110mm. It will quite likely mess up the handling of the bike as road bikes don’t tend to be designed for such short stems.

Looking at the picture you have attached you don’t need anywhere near the reach alteration of 60mm that you are proposing. Your bars look quite long reach. I suspect a shorter reach bar with the existing stem would do, or just a 90mm stem.

If you move your hands back 20mm from the existing hoods and simulate holding the hoods you should be able to see (from a side on picture) the difference that makes.

PP