Maximum thickness tire for Defy 4 2014

Hello All

What is the maximum thickness tire that will fit on this bike.
And it would need to fit some Crud Roadrace Mk3's

Generally these days I use the bike for getting around town on roads and Canal paths.
I have a Topeak Super Tourist DX Rear Rack with a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP with Side Panniers

Some of the roads around my town are very poor and often I will get punchers on the rear tire.

I am thinking of getting some Schwalbe Marathon Tyre would they fit?

Alternativly I could sell the bike and buy a gravel bike what do you think?

Cheers

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    I have a Defy 3 2013 which is basically the same frame and I used to run 25mm tyres and the official Defy mudguards. There really wasn't much clearance at all and in winter on mucky roads they would clog up with mud. Sometimes I had to remove wheel and scrape mud out with a stick!

It's now had a groupset and wheel upgrade and is purely my dry weather summer bike. It's a great bike and handles beautifully. I bought a wet weather commuter that can fit 28mm tyres with big clearance for mudguards with disc brakes too.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• My winter bike of 13 years is a racelight Tk and designed to take 25mm tyres and proper guards. Still occasionally get them clogged with mud to the point I actually grind to a halt and have to get to work with a stick...

Were I buying a new winter bike today it would have clearance for bigger tyres with guards that don't clog, and disc brakes.
  • ok thanks guys, I think I may either sell this one or just get a new one just need to find somewhere to put it :p