does this screw have a purpose?!

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited September 2020 in Workshop
noticed that the screw for here is missing on one caliper. Looks to be used to tension the metal and stop it sliding with the caliper. Do i need it?! thanks

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is it not the screw that you use to centre your brake caliper.
  • chatlow
    no, that one's on the other side of the caliper
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Looks to be a screw to hold the plastic slider in place.
    The spring force is currently holding it in place but you could lose it one day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chatlow
    strange design - the rival brakes just have the plastic holder sealed in place. God knows why they opted for a screw hold on force
  • chatlow said:

strange design - the rival brakes just have the plastic holder sealed in place. God knows why they opted for a screw hold on force

A mechanical solution is better than a bonded in solution. However I’ve never heard of a bonded in getting loose.

• chatlow
    edited September 2020
    agree for most cases - but in this solution, where no adjustment is needed, there's just more parts to go wrong... or get lost :-/

Anyway - for those interested - it's the smallest bolt in this part number 11.5415.017.030 which contains 4 items.. I only need the 1 so not sure I'll pay a tenner for that
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    at a guess m4, just try various screws until you find one that fits, cut to length, slot the end, smidge of loctite
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny