force 22 caliper drop

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited September 2020 in Workshop
Cannondale supersix evo with giant slr1 aero rims and 25mm tyres. Rival 22 brakes were fine, but the force 22 rear caliper pads are at the bottom of the drop slot and still not centered on the rim. Need a few mm lower if possible. Confused as both seem to come in one size, standard drop

Does anyone know if there's a screw than can adjust this further? Only one i can see is the rotation screw, plus a small screw that looks as though it holds the metal spring bar in place and dont actually think it does anything..

thanks

Comments

• I have Force callipers on my PlanetX Maratona frame that fits 28mm tyres. The pads are at the bottom of the slots

I found that the adjustment of the rotation screw on the rh side of the caliper was important to ensure that the slots are at the same height on both sides.

My callipers are about 3yr old so I don’t know if SRAM have changed the design.
  • chatlow
    Thanks. It's a strange one. Ive got the front pad centered on the rim without too much fuss but the rear rhs wont center fully. Lhs is ok, but rhs is 1-2mm too high up on the rim

I dont see a long reach option for force 22.

Will have another look later
  • I think you need to use the rotation screw to ensure that the rhs and lhs are level.
  • chatlow
    yeah, had hoped it might, but the rotation of the caliper is only helping ever so slightly. Just seems my bike geometry is border line between standard and long drop calipers. Guess I've never noticed it with the rival brakes I had before.

Anyway, I've got it close enough so it's 99% on the rim, albeit the very top part of the surface but it should be fine
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    if you do decide you need a bit extra, you could try offset pad holders

for instance...
    https://bdopcycling.com/product/bdop-offset-brake-pad-holders-pair-silver/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chatlow
    cheers