Circlip pliers for freehub

Any recommendation for circlip pliers for removing an internal circlip in a freehub?

I got some but the tips are too big for the holes in the circlip :(

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It sounds like I got the same circlip pliers. I used a Dremel to grind down the tips. You can probably do it with any grinder. Just mind your fingers. :)
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Same problem, same solution for me when changing the inner bearing on a Fulcrum freehub. The other pair that would have done the job were too wide to fit inside the freehub body, so if you buy any new ones make sure they are narrow
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    lesfirth said:

It sounds like I got the same circlip pliers. I used a Dremel to grind down the tips. You can probably do it with any grinder. Just mind your fingers. :)

Slight issue in that I used a file and went a little too far.. It worked last time I had this issue :D
  • There is a pair of Teng ones that do the job. I can get you the part no if you still need this issue sorted?
  • Park tool circlip pliers do the job.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Machine Mart list several versions with different sized or interchangeable tips. Their stores are still open if you don't want to wait for delivery, but the website is rubbish for identifying what stock any store has so worth giving your local one a ring to check.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Machine Mart, Sealey Draper, Magnusson at B&Q, Halfords Pro - as its a fairly one off job something off Amazon will do the job.

Its a bicycle freewheel circlip, not the spaceship.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ignore the MFs they havent looked beyond the wonder of deep section wheels to see the glory that is a proper tools capable of fixing the spaceship fetish.

The park ones are alright but very expensive for what they are. The same sort of price can get you a set of the knipex ones which are the dogs danglys. Chose if you prefer blue or red.

#mmmmmmknipexurgggggghhhhhhhhaaaaaahhh

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Oh no - the MFs are all up for shiney expensive tools (they are Facom/Park kinda guys) but for a one off job that he'll probably never do again......

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    MattFalle said:

Oh no - the MFs are all up for shiney expensive tools (they are Facom/Park kinda guys) but for a one off job that he'll probably never do again......

Facom, good call

im a facom wera knipex kinda guy with park for the bike specific stuff. oh and wheels for bearing presses.
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    I ended up using Machinemart multi pack if I remember correctly. Poorly designed crap but they just about worked.

I considered Park Tool but I think there were a bunch of reviews about them snapping so thought I'd steer clear.
  • david37
    stn5 said:

I ended up using Machinemart multi pack if I remember correctly. Poorly designed censored but they just about worked.

I considered Park Tool but I think there were a bunch of reviews about them snapping so thought I'd steer clear.

the knipex ones are lush.